The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator - Page 101 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th August 2009, 11:44 PM   #1001
jkeny is offline jkeny  Ireland
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by ikoflexer
I congratulate Tham for having the hottest most inefficient class-d t-amp in the world

Reminds me of the saying that "you give with one hand, and take with the other"

But worry not, I already have an idea for a simple pic controller based automatic shunt current adjustment that will be more efficient. Would anybody be interested in something like that? Very simplistic

The reality is that we don't need to pass so much current most of the time, since we're not listening so loud continuously.
Woaa, that's a real kicker - I'm interested if you're serious
Old 11th August 2009, 11:59 PM   #1002
iko is offline iko  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by jkeny

Woaa, that's a real kicker - I'm interested if you're serious
Yeah, I'll take a serious look at it. Got myself a PIC chip already, and built a small interface to program it (flash it) from the PC over the serial port. Just ideas so far, no guarantees it'll work.
Old 12th August 2009, 12:05 AM   #1003
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by ikoflexer

Yeah, I'll take a serious look at it. Got myself a PIC chip already, and built a small interface to program it (flash it) from the PC over the serial port. Just ideas so far, no guarantees it'll work.

Understood, but major kudos for the initiative.
I'm playing with Arduino's for preamp control - much easier to get to grips with than PICs, I'm told. Would this be powerful enough here - Atmel 8 bit AVR uC?
Old 12th August 2009, 12:15 AM   #1004
diyAudio Moderator

And I thought I chose the easy one
Old 12th August 2009, 09:01 PM   #1005
diyAudio Moderator

Default So much fun

So I got one of them little pic chips and gave it a go with a little program... I had forgotten HOW MUCH FUN THIS IS!!!

stay tuned for the *lower voice* regulator with BRAAAAINS
Old 12th August 2009, 09:05 PM   #1006
Banned

Wow, I'm impressed -
Old 12th August 2009, 09:18 PM   #1007
diyAudio Moderator

No, don't... you wouldn't believe how easy it is. If you want I'll put a page up with a tiny tutorial. Literally, all you need is a serial port on the computer, a few resistors, a couple of diodes, and a capacitor to be able to flash a given program to the chip. To actually run the chip you need one crystal and a +5V source

salas, do you think this is way off topic and we should take it to another thread? I wouldn't want to confuse people more than I usually do
Old 12th August 2009, 09:38 PM   #1008
Banned

Iko,
Why not start another thread - I'm sure it will be of general interest also - MCUs are becoming more necessary for all of this audio game, DACs, preamps, amps, filters, Vregs, ..........

It would be a good thread to knock around some ideas (only a few - not a smorgasboard of functions) & see how it's programmed & implemented in hardware!
Old 12th August 2009, 11:59 PM   #1009
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi ikoflexer,
Please provide a link for a new thread. I think that this is a super idea and a great opportunity for us older hardware smokers. For me, logic is hard wired in SSI and MSI parts. This has got to be easier!

I have a programmer (plus ZIF socket PCB- Sure Electronics) and an in-circuit programmer for PIC chips. I need some help getting started in this. I have an assortment of PIC micro-controllers as well.

So, I have book, PDF files and stuff. My time gets fractured too often, so I need a little help. Once I'm rolling, I'll probably teach myself okay.

I do have the stuff talking to my 'puter.

I chose the PIC platform because many people seemed to be working with it and there were resources. To me, the separate data and instruction pipes make sense too. So yes, I figured it would be easier.

Can you imagine being able to access the comm link in consumer electronics? Program a similar controller and add features, or change them to something that makes more sense. Even if you only use it to make the user interface to a project easier, or cooler, why not?

-Chris
Old 13th August 2009, 01:48 AM   #1010
diyAudio Moderator

Good stuff. Here we go, new thread on the PIC.

Having fun with a PIC16F84A microcontroller

Chris, I guarantee you that you'll be up and playing with the PIC in no time. Have a look at that thread, and keep an eye on the little howto I'm putting together.

Hide this!Advertise here!