Sharing gainclone PSU with other circuits - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th April 2009, 10:57 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Sharing gainclone PSU with other circuits

So my chipamp is using this PSU:
http://chipamp.com/images/ps-rev3-sch.gif
This has a +30v and a -30v rail. Along with my chipamp, I have some preamp type stuff inside the amplifier case. All these circuits want +/- 15v power. What's the easiest way to get a +/- 15v supply along with the +/-30v supply from this PSU?
Thanks!
Old 19th April 2009, 07:23 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi,

if you have this dual 30 V supply already, you might consider using simple linear regulators to drop the voltage to dual 15 V. Check LM7815 for example. However, if you require more than 1 A current per 15 V rail, there are other linear regs that can provide more amps.

There should be suitable simple circuits given on the LM7815 datasheet for you to build, but pay attention to proper heatsinking and protection circuitry! There will be quite a large voltage across the regulator (roughly 15 volts in this case) and when you take the full 1 A out of it, you'll waste 15 V * 1 A = 15 W power! So decent heatsink is a must, fan not necessarily needed.

Have fun!
Old 4th January 2011, 07:31 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Right now I'm doing this with little TO-220 LM317 regulators. Needless to say they're ridiculously hot to begin with and only one of them is minimally heatsinked. They seem to work fine, however. Should I expect them to have a decreased lifespan or any other problems?
Thanks!
Old 4th January 2011, 08:38 AM   #4
Stixx is offline Stixx  Germany
I am
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Right now I'm doing this with little TO-220 LM317 regulators. Needless to say they're ridiculously hot to begin with and only one of them is minimally heatsinked. They seem to work fine, however. Should I expect them to have a decreased lifespan or any other problems?
Its time to heatsink them both, and you should be fine as long as the output voltage is what you want. TO-220 is sturdy and can take a lot with proper heatsinking... LM7815 isn't any bigger btw.
Old 5th January 2011, 06:04 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

i use transistors to increase current of a linear regulator , use 1 mje3055 and mje2955 for constant 2 ampere output .
besides using using 317 or 7815 to drop out the voltage will make them very hot so use a current limiting resistor and transistor to increase the current . it will solve the problem
Old 5th January 2011, 06:47 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Umm, a weird question. Are these circuits electrically isolated from the amplifier circuit? If so you could split the 30V to +-15 (30V=15V and ground = -15V)
Old 7th January 2011, 05:21 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hm good idea horizonrays.

Is the heatsink on the left adequately sized? Should I give them both larger ones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroDaGr8 View Post
Umm, a weird question. Are these circuits electrically isolated from the amplifier circuit? If so you could split the 30V to +-15 (30V=15V and ground = -15V)
I guess I could. These circuits are used to run the opamps in the pre, primarily, as well as for some switching relays.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo(2).JPG (244.3 KB, 92 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!