Temperature compensated MAIDA - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2009, 08:06 PM   #1
diyAudio Member
 
jackinnj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Llanddewi Brefi, NJ
Default Temperature compensated MAIDA

I've noticed that my Maida regulators drift with temperature -- LB47 has a compensated circuit using the LM329 -- here's how to implement -- first the schematic:

Click the image to open in full size.

Here's a single layer version free for the pickin'

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
  Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 12:24 AM   #2
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bakersfield Ca
Jack,
Can you send me the file on this, I will try to make one by hand.

Thanks
Bill
  Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 01:54 AM   #3
okapi is offline okapi  United States
diyAudio Member
 
okapi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Buffalo
Hi Jack,

can i ask what you need the high voltage for?

thanks.
  Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 12:47 PM   #4
diyAudio Member
 
jackinnj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Llanddewi Brefi, NJ
Quote:
Originally posted by wirewiggler
Jack,
Can you send me the file on this, I will try to make one by hand.

Thanks
Bill
PM me your email address. I changed the voltage setting resistor to consist of 2 units -- it's less expensive to use a pair of 3W devices and spread the heat.

Quote:
Originally posted by okapi
Hi Jack,

can i ask what you need the high voltage for?

thanks.
Tube preamp.
  Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 02:35 PM   #5
okapi is offline okapi  United States
diyAudio Member
 
okapi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Buffalo
this is the data sheet for the Maida regulator from national (1980).
  Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 02:59 PM   #6
diyAudio Member
 
jackinnj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Llanddewi Brefi, NJ
Quote:
Originally posted by okapi
this is the data sheet for the Maida regulator from national (1980).

The Value of C1 should be 1uF, not 100F -- this is a recurrent problem with Multisim -- but when I translated Multisim to Ultiboard I changed the value to 100nF -- should be 1uF -- thank for pointing out the error. A 1uF pp also has a bigger footprint.

The pass transistors which Maida used are now unobtanium. The TIP50's are rated 500V and are more than sufficient for the task.
  Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 03:40 PM   #7
Salas is online now Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator
 
Salas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Athens-Greece
I just use a single IRF840 pass element.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg another maida.jpg (97.4 KB, 411 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 12:34 AM   #8
okapi is offline okapi  United States
diyAudio Member
 
okapi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Buffalo
Quote:
Originally posted by jackinnj



The Value of C1 should be 1uF, not 100F -- this is a recurrent problem with Multisim -- but when I translated Multisim to Ultiboard I changed the value to 100nF -- should be 1uF -- thank for pointing out the error. A 1uF pp also has a bigger footprint.

The pass transistors which Maida used are now unobtanium. The TIP50's are rated 500V and are more than sufficient for the task.

unfortunately, i can't take any credit for finding an error. I was just posting the application note so that beginners like myself, who can't figure out a circuit without an explanation, could make also make use of your helpful post.

i believe you have also built the jung super reg, how does the noise level of the Maida with the lm329 compare?
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 02:29 AM   #9
diyAudio Member
 
jackinnj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Llanddewi Brefi, NJ
Quote:
Originally posted by okapi



unfortunately, i can't take any credit for finding an error. I was just posting the application note so that beginners like myself, who can't figure out a circuit without an explanation, could make also make use of your helpful post.

i believe you have also built the jung super reg, how does the noise level of the Maida with the lm329 compare?
Janneman, I believe, did the definitive work on the Jung super-reg. I use a smt version of the Jung/Didden in my rework of the Crown IC-150 with wonderful results.

Somewhere in the universe of diyaudio is a comparison of the Last-PAS regulator and my LR8N3 (supertex) regulator. I used a storage-scope, bandwidth limited, to integrate noise over time. I haven't put the temp compensated Maida through these paces.

The LastPAS can be a little wonky with respect to temperature and I found that the current range of HV zeners are more prone to failure than their Pb cousins.

The LastPas is a really quiet, really low impedance supply.
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 02:57 AM   #10
okapi is offline okapi  United States
diyAudio Member
 
okapi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Buffalo
thanks for your replies. Because of this thread i have discovered 3 additional voltage regulators. I was foolish to think i had almost maxed what there was to know about "standard" linear power supplies for audio.

on a side note, i hope the new version of diyaudio moves the power supply forum to its proper place - the home page.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
thermally compensated Vb bias circuit? davygrvy Solid State 0 11th January 2009 06:17 PM
Speed Compensated Volume in GM vehicles LightwaveDude Car Audio 11 11th October 2007 06:04 PM
DC compensated SE output transformer fscarpa58 Tubes / Valves 123 3rd June 2005 05:18 PM
Temp. compensated transistors from Sanken Real_Macgyver Solid State 0 12th August 2004 09:10 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:36 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2