Piezobee -a very simple and cheap power filter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The devices in the e-bay posting are made by Measurement Specialties and are vibration sensors and very sensitive ones at that. Very high impedance and normally hooked up to a charge amplifier. I'm not sure what effect hooking them up across a power supply cap would have but it would be additive and have nothing to do with the music, more like injecting room noise into the power supply.

Philip

I understand that they are highly sensitive vibration sensors. They are microphones. What happens when you feed a microphone a signal in the audible range? It turns into a speaker. Example, ribbon microphones came long before ribbon speakers, but they are very very similar in concept, only different in configuration. Try it some time, it works. It is not very loud and not exactly high fidelity, but they will make noise. So, if you feed a speaker a signal it will take that signal and turn it into mechanical motion. I am guessing, but if you audiojoy is hearing improvement, maybe the piezo's are muting the noise in the DC power by turning the noise to mechanical motion. It will certianly not be of a high enough power to create an audible sound from the piezo itself. If the piezo is able to turn the noise in the power supply into mechanical motion, it will in effect reduce the noise.

To be honest this is simply spouting an idea, so feel free to shoot it down. Thinking out loud as it were.

Dave i think in a round about way that's exactly the principle i was getting at.

I have now had a chance to compare the BYBEE Original (larger version) with my Piezobee, on the shigaclone 8v dc power supply line. I have to say i felt the benefits were almost the same!!!!!! Or rather i could not distinguish between the two. There was that same amplified feel to the sound. The BYbee perhaps a little brighter overall with slight loss of tonal richness in the midrange. But then i would say that wouldn't I????

However after both were removed the sound was admittedly still very good, so i will emphasize once more these are icing on the cake products not ones that will change the sound in a dramatic manner.

As evidence i can send photos of the two products together on the same diy shigaclone.

But I still need others opinions on these.

I was thinking about this some more today and using a microphone is likely perfect for this application. when being driven, they are terribly inefficient and take substantial power to make any sort of audible noise. On the other side, the signal made by a microphone is very low level. Assuming this is put inside a power supply box, and on a rack, the noise issue becomes less of a concern. I don't think I would mount one next to a fan, but I am guessing that it sucks out more noise than it injects.

we are talking about mechanical versus electrical input into the device.Presume tiny air borne vibrations are most unlikely to provide enough energy to knock off the electrons or enough of them any way to trigger the energy flow. But a direct 8v half an amp bombardment of electrons may well do the trick which then leads to the cascaded voltage wave which gets out of the other side. In the meantime the 'dirty' electrons from our bombardment are presumably of a low enough energy capacity to be.... as Dave says absorbed and not cascaded in the electrical path.

SCOTT WuRSER

No need to take it so seriously, as already mentioned before in this thread we are just playing with ideas,nothing more. Using basic physics knowledge. It is supposed to trigger the more experienced people out there into putting more factual meat on the ideas.

I suggest you withdraw your remark and reappraise your interpretation of comments made in this thread in the spirit that they were meant and then provide more helpful posts.

Furthermore, the sound improvement is in my opinion indisputable. So your friend of.... similar attitude.... whose assumption that environmental vibrations must be polluting the supply does not hold water at all.

Furthermore you are using that same wasteful tactic of quoting an entire post, moderator where are you???

audiojoy said:
Using basic physics knowledge.

I should have just ignored this thread and will in the future. I could have tried to be helpful and point out that the basic physics quoted in the Bybee literature is a cut and paste of impressive sounding concepts that do have validity in their own context but as presented are total nonsense. Would that have helped?

Being in a no win situation, I will simply stay out of all these matters. Being tired of trying to argue rationally and resorting to sarcastic humor was a mistake.

oh come on. I am simply here to learn, so tell me. I don't listen people who say "You are wrong" and don't back it up. Teach me.

I was thinking about taking one of these and wiring it up and then potting it. At my work we use some nice potting material that I can encapsulate the piezo in.

I have also been reading the thread about ceramic caps. I certainly learned a bunch reading that and trying to sift through the sarcasm and opinion. From that I have gleaned that this may be the "wrong" path, but I have certainly spent $20 on worse folly.

That was my impression at first. But for a little bit of cash there is the potential for a bunch of tweaking. Maybe some improvement will come of it.

I have found that the fluff can be total junk and snake oil, or it can have merit. Ever try lifting speakers up off the carpet with something non-conductive? It changes the sound. Not enough to spend hundreds of dollars on lifts, but enough to cut out some cardboard to hold them up.

AHA Scott... so we are back to being protective of the original product again.

Simple explanations in no way means simple solutions or covers the multitude of details that go into the final product. Think of it more as abstract thinking and fun. Dave seems to have grasped this idea easily enough.

Syd they are the ones go ahead and try them, no-one as yet have reported back their findings. Remember you must resolder the wire on the metal onto the white disc opposite the other wire for it to work.

What ever happened to that Quote Wurser had copied into his post no 27, it has mysteriously disappeared. Could it be my comment in post number 28 had anything to do with it??

Joined 2003
Paid Member
As a moderator, I'm going to persuade the site owner to create and Hocus-Pocus forum for you guys.

As a member, I'm going to ask to stop mixing science and pseudoscience in one thread. :cannotbe:
Of course, no one is preventing you from having fun.

/Hugo

Dear Moderator

Your role here as a moderator seems to be in my opinion totally uncalled for if not downright ridiculous. By all means moderate this site for the handbag fight that has obviously triggered your presence here from another member. But don't use pseudo-science as your cover for it. I would stick to moderating more important issues such as those that may have a commercial interest in certain products and may be falsely belittling another thread for that gain.

Also out of order is adding your own personal views 'hocus pocus', which is downright rude.

Would you like to point out where the pseudo science is?? I take it you have heard of electrons flowing, electrons being energised and absorbing energy and being pushed out of their atoms to create an electric flow. Energy from vibration, light heat etc. etc etc. We are using basic physics to theorise on possible outcomes.There is absolutely no need to create a new thread. There is no pretence here, as basic science is being used not absolutely unheard of principles.

So lets stop all this nonsense and those of you who feel they know more should help logically look at the ideas and question them with your more advanced scientific knowledge or be able to understand the advanced principals we may be hinting at.

I am amazed that the point of these ideations have still been totally misunderstood. Scientific study is based on theories a lot of the time which need to be proven or dis proven. Is electronic engineering not part of science and the culture of research? perhaps it is not, perhaps electronics is a far more rigid discipline which cannot be taken outside of set boundaries. Or, and this is more likely, rigid thinking does not allow the mind to embrace the methodology of the presentation of the ideas that are expressed on this thread.

Either way, this thread is open for full discussion of ideas and those that can logically dispute and disprove any of the ideas presented here after having interpreted them correctly are very welcome.

A mystery will remain one unless we open our eyes and minds and use logical argument to augment them

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.