Rod Elliott's capacitance multiplier supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
http://sound.westhost.com/project15.htm

Increasing the capacitance (especially at the input) is recommended, and I would suggest 10,000uF as the ideal instead of the 4700uF shown. This will reduce hum even further, and provide greater stability against short term mains voltage changes. Increased output capacitance will help when powering Class-AB amplifiers, to account for their sudden current demands. I do not recommend more than 4,700uF, as the charging current will be very high.

What number does he mean at the bottom? First he says to use 10mF, then he says not to use more than 0.47mF.

Hi

He is saying use min 10,000uF before the transistors and not to use more than 4700uF after the transistors.

If u use more than 4700uF after the trans. it would draw too much current during start up and may blow the serise transistor, which actually reduces the ripple.

rgds
Sumit

Rod Elliot's Capacitance multiplier

Good day Sir,

I actually used 10,000uF after the transistors but it didn't fry the TO218 transistors that I suspect counterfeits from China (TIP2955/TIP3055), I also implement capacitance multiplier ps in all my SS/chip amp projects, as it surpass the benefits versus the costs. If I needed regulated ps, i connected it after the capacitance multiplier. The diffrence between the linear can clearly be observed.

Regards,

Efren:)

" I actually used 10,000uF after the transistors but it didn't fry the TO218 transistors that I suspect counterfeits from China (TIP2955/TIP3055) " Using any semiconductor device near its maximum rating is not adviceable and would result in reduction of life of the device. The transistor may not blow as the surge current capability of the device is high, but still, charging a fully discharged 10000uF capacitor causes the device to over conduct its limit, and would cause life reduction. A lot of times what saves the transistor is the impedance of the transformer which limits the output current.

" Would a TIP33C/TIP34C (100V 10A) instead of a TIP2955/TIP3055 (100V 15A) work for a Capacitance Multiplier transistor " Its all about safety margin. If upto 4 to 5 amp contineous is required TIP33/34 can be used.

rgds
Sumit

The amp(s) I'd like to use this supply for will probably need to output a peak current of about 25 A. Will I be OK with the number of caps shown, or do I need to parallel?

The input caps and input filter caps that I would like to use are rated at 4.4 A and 2.3 A ripple current, respectively.

25amps peak :- which transistors r u using?

This supply is ment for class A operation not for AB or B type amps. What kind of amp u r planning?

You probably need to parallel caps but u need a transiator hefty enough to handle the in rush current. May be u need to parallel transistors too.......

AndrewT said:
That's why I said that.
What's wrong with taking it from I=P/R given R is the minimum impedance and P is the power for the whole driver? That should be fine for a full-power single tone at the minimum impedance, which would never even happen with music.

That's what I did in the spreadsheet, btw. If you could have a look at that and tell me if my calculations are off, that'd be great.

EDIT: Latest revision here

http://www.sendspace.com/file/7dmtb7

which transistor to use?

Hello .454Casul

try this for size, perhaps it will give you enough headroom: :D

MJ14002- npn, 300w,80v, 60A (TO-3)
MJ14003-pnp, 300w, 80v, 60A (TO-3)

MJ11032-npn, 300w, 120v, 50A, darlington, (TO-3)
MJ11033-pnp, 300w, 120v, 50A, darlington, (TO-3)

just check if such devices are available in your area, i got those specs from Electronics Enthusiast, Projects & Circuits vol.5, locally available in our country.

best regards,

efren. :)

I tried to make a PCB for capacitance multiplier supply .
The first time that I we done PCB so if you can tell me whether it is O.K.
PAD 1,2,3,4, are inputs from the transformer ,PAD 8 is + , PAD 5 is - , and between C4 C7 is GND .

Attachments

• pcb.JPG
    pcb.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 619
branet,

it looks as if you've done this so many times, nicely done:nod: but the clamping diodes at the output seems to be missing, unless you intend to solder them directly on the foil side.,

in my limited knowledge, clamping diodes will protect the power transistors in the event that those filter capacitors (before the transistors, after the rectifiers) discharges faster than those in the output which rarely happens...
just to be sure better to have them.

will these be for class A amp? (a MUST for all class A amp, unless you'll be using lead-acid batteries:D:D).

Best Regards:wave:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.