Halogen transformers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've just found some halogen transformers for 6€ that give 12Vrms they are described as "Independent IP20 transformers". I know some halogen lights are powered from 30KHz supplies, but not sure about these.

Can i use them to power a 20W/6Ohm class A amp?

Would 30KHz be rectifiable?

These transformers provide ~30Khz chopped AC following the mains waveform envelope. The purpose of this is to achieve good power factor. They are not easy to modify for producing DC. The switching stage is usually self oscillating with bipolar transistors. Input capacitor for mains rectification is of very low value.

Eva said:
These transformers provide ~30Khz chopped AC following the mains waveform envelope. The purpose of this is to achieve good power factor. They are not easy to modify for producing DC. The switching stage is usually self oscillating with bipolar transistors. Input capacitor for mains rectification is of very low value.

This may explain the plurarlity of noises is see on the scope since i have both halogen lamps and electronic fluorescent lights at my lab.

I knew it was silly to think that one could feed a class A amp from a 12€ psu but i wanted to be sure.

Thanks!

star882 said:
If they're heavy, they might just be normal transformers.

A long time ago i had an halogen lamp that was feed from a normal tranformer, too bad i didn't keep it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.