Simple power inductor calculator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi folks,

I wrote a small html-based program to help in designing power inductors. I wanted to share it just to get some feedback.

I believe the program is quite self-explanatory, so I intend to write no special tutorials. If you understand the symbols/variables, you'll know how to use this. This was done relatively fast, so it might contain a lot of mistakes, but at least I did get some results out of it (surprise, since I wrote this one...).

Last remark: This program calculates only some of the basic values, you'll have to find out for example the core losses from the appropriate graphs. Have fun!

The Awesome calculator:
www.students.tut.fi/~huusari/inductor_calc.htm

Eva said:
I use Opera 9.24. The upper calculator does not work until the Do! button is pressed for the first time on the lower one.

Could you add rounding to the numbers? A dozen decimals appear.

Yes, I'm aware of that bug with the buttons, will try to fix it as soon as I have time. Rounding will be added as well.

This calculator was intended to serve as a quick tool to select core for a certain application. Personally I would like to have all the following attributes calculated: copper loss, core loss, temperature rise, number of parallel wires & wire gauges and whether they fit in the core window or not. However, there's usually no equations to calculate specific losses for a given core at a given frequency/temperature, so many attributes need to be inserted manually (first they need to be extracted from the graphs).

I've tried to use PExprt form Ansoft, but the winding arrangements are not good at all. Instead PExprt gives good suggestions for the core. Still, I like to write these little programs myself
:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.