Bipolar Variable Power supply for protoboard

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Your better off purchasing either an open frame or closed frame switching power supply. A commerical product will include over-current sensing, provide multiple voltages and have a higher current output.

The LM317 LM78xx are really designed for very low output current, and can't handle large voltage differences been in the input voltage and the output voltage.

Here is a low cost Open Frame SMPS from Artesyn
Mouser 826-NFS40-7608J $49.22

The only import feature is make sure the power supply you choose can operation with no load. look for PS that can operate at 0A (ie 5V 0-3.2A). Otherwise you need to attach a resistor to produce some load. SMPS that have a minimum current load will switch immediately off, if there is no load present at power on.

AndrewT said:
"voltage regulator" brought up 3201 threads.
"variable voltage regulator" brought up 136 threads.
Start searching instead of just clicking "I have searched" icon

OK so your one of those. I get it. I searched "bipolar power supply breadboard". three results. None that helped. Have you ever realized that sifting through 3,201 threads or even 136 threads to try to find exactly what you are after is a daunting task. What does it hurt to ask directly about a certain item instead of guessing which one is the right one for me. And if you don't want to help, don't!

TheSeekerr said:
Hi,

You haven't given enough information. How much current does it need to supply? 100mA? 500? 5 amps? Tell us that, and maybe we can tell you what you want to build.

Sorry about that. You are absolutely right. Mostly what I am doing is small 9 volt projects. Stompboxes for guitars, headphone amps, and the like so I would say 100ma would cover it. I probably really only need it to cover up to about 18v.

Hi,

the power supply i am developing or a simpler version would more than cover your needs.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=138482

the adjustment of a single trim pot sets both the positive and negative rail voltage. If you don't want/require the higher performance that the lm329b offers it is dead simple build. You also don't need to use LT1033/LT1085 regs, just about any adjustable regulator will do.

also, i will order prototype boards in the next couple of weeks and once i determine the cost i would be willing to sell you one. they won't be as cheap as typical offerings around here because i am ordering so few boards (i had only planned on personal use) but let me know if you are interested.

lastly, twisted pear audio has a few PSs that may suit your needs and the price is quite good.

good luck

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.