+/-80V 7Amp SMPS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
dudaindc said:
Thanks Bootstrapper for offering to help. :up:

Although I am an EE that has been playing with electronics since I was 12 years old, I need all the help I can get with SMPS. :D
For the last 20+ years I make my living as an acoustical consultant and electronics became my hobby/therapy.

I already got the best books available and along with those I have been studying application notes from the major players. I learned quite a bit from other members here, but my practical experience is close to none when it comes to SMPS. :usd:

My interest is basically to make SMPS for audio applications - mainly subwoofer amplifier power supplies. :hphones:

I typically use Multisim, but I will get LTSpice (again) and will play with the simulation file you kindly offered. :cubehead:

Thanks again and I wish you all the best in getting your design efforts "converted" to Euros. :$:

===========================
Sorry to all for the OT.

You're welcome! I wouldn't call myself an expert in this field, but I know some issues and I'm constantly learning more. At the moment I'm about to finish my masters thesis (I studied and made rough design - and working prototype - for a converter giving 700 W @ 48 V from input voltage that varied between 300 and 1400 volts) so the "commercial" project of mine needs to wait for some time. I have recently got a position for post-graduate studies, so it might be only after the PhD that I'll finish it :D

Meanwhile I'm glad to offer any help I can!

p.s. I agree that electronics is good therapy :)

Just a thought

You might want to read Marty Browns latest edition on the design of smps; while there are a few typo errors and some of the calculations don't jive the subject is covered in an easy to read format aimed at engineers and techs alike.Another reference is "High Frequency Switching power Supply Design "by George Chryssis and for simulation "Switch-Mode Power Supplies" authored by Christophe Basso.Download LTspice for simulations ; its free and has a short learning curve.There is an old thread on this site that covers a lot on this subject, I can't remeber but Luka can post the link. As for TI appnotes old tech but some do apply. Raise your fsw to at least 75kHz this will resize most components and enable to use smaller magnetic's,pcb real estate.An etd49 core set @75kHz can deliver almost 2kW in HB,Inductors will be smaller and loop stablization easier.Voltage control mode requires type 3 compesation while type 2 is intended for current mode application.TL431 is a good device for this.I see many supplies posted here that use some form of zener regulation ; This approach does not lead to a good stable design in my opinion.

chas1

Last edited:
Hi,
I think your design misses the air gapped storage choke which has the task of 'absorbing' the energy during the on-phase of each leg which is later transfered to the storage caps...
check these schematics... l1 is the storage choke
http://www.gb97816.homepage.t-online.de/download/60a_sntdok.zip
also, check the windings on your transformer... according to your schematics, you have 24 primary and 2x9 secondary which means you step up the rail voltage...

I designed a 1kw motor controler for a dc motor test stand two years ago... mine kept constantly blowing HIP4081 H-bridge and mosfets. It took me three revisions to get the thing finally working reliably. In the third release I had four plane multilayer - top and bottom layer was gnd, one layer was supply and one layer was for the signals to the mosfets. The parts were very cramped together to keep the inductance of the various current path low... I dont have the schematics on hand, they're at my office, but as far as I remember I also used snubbers across the d-s and diodes to protect the driver from the gate voltage going negative...

Good luck

Arno

Hi,
I think your design misses the air gapped storage choke which has the task of 'absorbing' the energy during the on-phase of each leg which is later transfered to the storage caps...
check these schematics... l1 is the storage choke
http://www.gb97816.homepage.t-online.de/download/60a_sntdok.zip
also, check the windings on your transformer... according to your schematics, you have 24 primary and 2x9 secondary which means you step up the rail voltage...

I designed a 1kw motor controler for a dc motor test stand two years ago... mine kept constantly blowing HIP4081 H-bridge and mosfets. It took me three revisions to get the thing finally working reliably. In the third release I had four plane multilayer - top and bottom layer was gnd, one layer was supply and one layer was for the signals to the mosfets. The parts were very cramped together to keep the inductance of the various current path low... I dont have the schematics on hand, they're at my office, but as far as I remember I also used snubbers across the d-s and diodes to protect the driver from the gate voltage going negative...

Good luck

Arno

Helo

Can you supply me with more details about the PCB?

or send in some pictures?

Thanks

Attached file problems

Some PDF files download completely bit I can't open them . I tried Acrobat 7 and Acrobat 9.2. Both report it as an error. The PDF file in the first post on this thread also doesn't open. Acrobat says it either an unsupported file or a damaged one.

I also can't download the file in the previous post
http://www.lucienet.de/archiv.zip
It starts the download but cuts off after about 25% download saying 'error'.

Recently I've come across other PDF files that do not open either. This problem is not with all files but only a few. However I think more files have this problem than it ever was earlier. Anyone having similar problems ?
Cheers.

Some PDF files download completely bit I can't open them . I tried Acrobat 7 and Acrobat 9.2. Both report it as an error. The PDF file in the first post on this thread also doesn't open. Acrobat says it either an unsupported file or a damaged one.

I also can't download the file in the previous post
http://www.lucienet.de/archiv.zip
It starts the download but cuts off after about 25% download saying 'error'.

Recently I've come across other PDF files that do not open either. This problem is not with all files but only a few. However I think more files have this problem than it ever was earlier. Anyone having similar problems ?
Cheers.

Both the .pdf and .zip works here :)

\\\Jens

I tried my standby computer. I am able to download the Zip file without a problem but the first PDF file ( post1) still will not open.Acrobat-7 claims it is corrupt .

hello.
.........zip file post 1

Attachments

• smps2.JPG
    smps2.JPG
    181.3 KB · Views: 708
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.