I would like to design a power supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I Would like to design a power supply. My design requirements are 2000 watts of power with serious circut protection and at least a 50% overcapcity tolerance.. I am a bit lost as to where to begin. I have a very basic understanding of how they work and some basic EE knowledge but selecting the right topology as well as the math involved seems a bit daunting.

I need 100v +- for rail voltages and a 12 volt supply at roughly 2 amps to leave enough head room for any preamp add on's

as I understand it a full bridge topology may be the best topology to use but I haven't seen many good article describing how to build such an aniimal and alot of the article seem to be a bit over my head so to speak.

I would almost gladly purchase a premade product for this useage to save the aggervation and my relative inexperience at engineering complex electrical products also prove duanting. . I would also gladly compensate a compotent engineer to do the design to save me the exspense of burning up lots of parts.

So that being siad where do I begin on this journey of oddly simplistic complexity ??

Music Amplifaction long duration and I would like to see tight control. It will be a full range application but I will be splitting the outputs into a bi-amp layout. I plan on using a good deal of capcitance to help with low tone reproduction but It will require a very good power supply to avoid clipping.

As to the Quasi thread ?? I searched and did not see thread with the title of quasi outside of the solid state area but that was a power amp not a power supply. I have a power amp design that works I just need a good power supply.

woody said:
It might help if you told us what this would be powering, how tight you need the voltage regulation, will this be used for long periods of just for a moment or two ect.

Kramerguy said:
Music Amplifaction long duration and I would like to see tight control. ........................... the title of quasi outside of the solid state area but that was a power amp not a power supply. I have a power amp design that works I just need a good power supply.
there is little wrong with a transformer + rectifier + smoothing.
adjust the smoothing value to suit the required bass response and speaker impedance.
Transformer VA from 2kVA to 4kVA for 2kW output.

I am trying to save wieght. IT is a big concern with gigging the head to lug another 27+ lbs of transformer.

Also do you know anythign about this quasi thread ?

AndrewT said:
there is little wrong with a transformer + rectifier + smoothing.
adjust the smoothing value to suit the required bass response and speaker impedance.
Transformer VA from 2kVA to 4kVA for 2kW output.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.