Transformer primary winding question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

This is as simple as it gets, but then again, so am I;

I have a transformer that supplies 40-0-40 to a 260W amp. It's primaries are wired in parallel and are connected to a 120V main.

I would like to use it in a circuit requiring a 20V supply. I assume I can wire the primary in series to achieve this? That is, wire the primary for 220-240V but give it 120V?

If I understand correctly I will get half the voltage but what about current considerations, will this harm the transformer?

Thanks,

gary

hi,
wait.
The transformer will be capable of half VA when run at half voltage.
The 40-0-40 gives ~+-58Vdc after the rectifiers.
When run at half voltage it will give ~+-29Vdc not 20Vdc.
You could regulate down to 20Vdc, but you are wasting a good transformer that is capable of so much more.

Hi Andrew,

the circuit I have in mind is a gainclone using the lm3886 chip. (I built one of these recently using Peter Daniel's boards and am very happy with it.) I think that 26VDC is right in the chips speced range so I wouldn't need to bleed off any more voltage there. I am concerned about losing the power though. If the transformer is rated at 260 Watts, I have been told that I will end up with about 30-35 Watts if I run the primary in series. This might just be enough for a small pair of 4 Ohm speakers.

PD mentioned possibly keeping the 40V rails and employing active regulation to get the voltage down. If I'm correct this will probably equal the cost of a new 22V transformer I should just order.

But I'm trying to salvage what I can from this fading amp I have, it would be so nice to just replace the circuit and leave the (pricier) chassis, tranny, etc. as is.

cheers,

gary

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.