which ferrite beads for mos legs?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've noticed my mosfet psu is quietly oscillating and I've put a ferrite bead in both gate and drain legs. This has "shut it up"and now runs much cooler. Since mos oscillates well into UHF, I chose a material with a fairly low permeability i.e mu=700 philips 4A11 pink . Is this the correct approach and /or what is best ferrite material grade to use. Or broadband ? Anyone got any experience ?

richj

Its been 25 years and I dont remember what worked best for my application but Fair-Rite makes a nice little evaluation kit. I seem to remember material 43 but could be wrong.
Sorry this isn't much help, the kits were still available just a few years back.

-Antonio

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Usually a ferrite bead on the gate should be sufficient. The mu and the losses in the material need to be just high enough so that the oscillation stops with a good margin.
Alternatively, you might beef up the gate driver and/or reduce the gate drive resistor, or move it closer to the gate.
Or, chose a older (slower) MOSFET - the new superjunction devices (think Fairchild SuperFET or Infineon CoolMOS) are getting faster and faster....

just my two cents...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.