Simplistic MosFET HV Shunt Regs

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
First you would need a higher voltage rated Q1 like the IXTP01N100D then you should use higher value R9 R10 like 82k. Watch the isolation to main sink be good and better use a sturdy Schottky diode instead of the D3 Zener for faster low threshold clamping.

First you would need a higher voltage rated Q1 like the IXTP01N100D then you should use higher value R9 R10 like 82k. Watch the isolation to main sink be good and better use a sturdy Schottky diode instead of the D3 Zener for faster low threshold clamping.

Thanks! I don't quite understand "use a sturdy Schottky diode instead of the D3 Zener for faster low threshold clamping". I actually don't understand what this diode does, or how the error amp works, so... could you recommend a specific part?

Joined 2004
Paid Member
using IXYS MOSFETs in HV application

As you can see in my previous post, IXYS made several depletion mode FETs, but only some practically usable in tube DIY.

High (500...1000V) voltage, low -few hundred mA- current (smaller surface=smaller capacitances), moderate Ciss, extra low Crss and Qg (charging storage).

RDS(on), dissipation (PD) and thermal coefficient (RthJ) are not so important.

Attachments

• IXYS depletion MOSFETs.txt
    1.9 KB · Views: 154
Hi Salas,

I have a similar request for more than 400V, and don't have IXTP's locally, but what I can find are for example: STP3NB60, BUZ77B (600V) and IRFBG30 (1000V). Can I use some of those?

Thanks