Simplistic MosFET HV Shunt Regs

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Yes. It will draw what TP says, all the time. Works as a current limit also. Measure what your tubes draw by VRplate/Rplate and just add 20mA each on TP not to tax your Tx and chokes. Tx ducks and chokes drop on their resistance. Factor in any parallel bleeders.

""...Measure what your tubes draw by VRplate/Rplate and just add 20mA each on TP...""

So it is OK if I may end up with difference TP setting for each board (each tube)....

How do I measure VRplate and Rplate, please?? (I assume that is not the same as the voltage across the 6K load resistor).....

I have done the above, set both TP at 30mA, voltage into the boards now at 280V, I can then set boards output at 258-260V, with voltage across the //12K load resistor at about 48V...

I notice this time only, Q4 & Q5 are hot...in fact they are the only thing that is hot this time.

Everything cool, until about one hour later.....the voltage out from the new board (the one with brighter LED....suddenly went down to 158V....TP remains at 30mA.....

After switch-off, and half an hour later, upon switch on....TP remains at 30mA, volt out rise to about 200V...

What do you thing has happened??

If change...Q4 / Q5 , change which one first (according to Salas' law..../experience)...(I will change Q4 N Q5...but which one first...)

I will change Q6 first....I have only 4 left...B/4 I need go shopping...

""Change Q6 anyway, check trimmer..."" do you mean, if after I change Q6...if not working...then I should change trimmer?? what do you want me to note when I check trimmer??

It is hard to check (or not much meaning to check again)....as they all checked out for the first hour...unless it is heat related.....

Do you think I should sink all Q4 & Q5 then...

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Use measurements. Normal overheat at that voltage output level is unlikely. Overbias due to a faulty transistor is more likely. Change Q4,5,6 if in doubt and the circuit is not in operational status handy to measure their Vbe. Trimmer should change value smoothly if you have a DMM on its outermost pins and turning its screw.