Simplistic MosFET HV Shunt Regs

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I had listened to very good #26 config with trafo pot and 2 SSHV2, Rod on cathodes, trafo out, the works, at VG's through his nice big horn speakers. It gives that golden tone. Although I could easily say it was a form of DHT coloration when he sent me files directly from vinyl riaa pre or through 26 also that I checked on headphones, in the listening room's acoustic space it was very engaging.

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
I had listened to very good #26 config with trafo pot and 2 SSHV2, Rod on cathodes, trafo out, the works, at VG's through his nice big horn speakers. It gives that golden tone. Although I could easily say it was a form of DHT coloration when he sent me files directly from vinyl riaa pre or through 26 also that I checked on headphones, in the listening room's acoustic space it was very engaging.

Just curious, do you have a slight preference for your 6V6 preamp over the 26?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Someone has to use same TVC, regs, etc. to be fair and listen in the same system of course. The 6V6 can get you to very good level cheaper with less problems to solve and less subsystems is one sure thing. A TKD, or Cosmo 50-100K, 100 Ohm good grid stopper, 7.5K Mills load, 300V clean B+, good capacitor output, and you are there.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Is this your last 6V6 preamp schematic?

Attachments

• Salas6V6LineStage.jpg
    Salas6V6LineStage.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 304
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
In my winter plans, I will make a choke loaded 6V6 with SSHV2 and attenuator at the input, no tvc, just to compare.
Will report then.
Also will try the #26 with starved filaments that was reported to give better results.
For a more monitor sound or less DHT sound you could use Sylvania ST tubes instead of globes that I use.

No TVC? Won't be apples to apples.