Simplistic MosFET HV Shunt Regs

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi,

What is the right resistor value in order to set ccs of my salas HV shunt reg for a current value of about 30 mA ?
I would supply two #26 at 5,5 mA max each. I have two 30 ma choke on HV line in a c-l-c-l-c configuration and would not saturate them . As I also have other two spare similar 30 ma choke, can I put them in parallel in order to increase max current value?

Thanks for your helps!

Anto

If its the one with single mosfet and 3 leds CCS start with 68R. That one is SSHV(1). SSHV2 has a trimmer, 2 mosfets, a test point, and no leds in ccs.

Yep, parallel the chokes. But maybe you don't wanna spare all your valuable chokes since the reg is gonna cut much ripple too. Maybe just c-l-c one cell is enough.

If its the one with single mosfet and 3 leds CCS start with 68R. That one is SSHV(1). SSHV2 has a trimmer, 2 mosfets, a test point, and no leds in ccs.

Yep, parallel the chokes. But maybe you don't wanna spare all your valuable chokes since the reg is gonna cut much ripple too. Maybe just c-l-c one cell is enough.

Thank you Salas, I was talking about SSHV (1). So will start with a c-l-c configuration with two parallelled choke for a 60 mA current max and 68 R ccs value. Is also possible to reduce current ccs consumption to a value below 20 mA? Thinkin' about tu use two SSHV1 in a single HV rail and stand below 30 mA max.

I wanna see picture of 80 yrs old AZ1 mesh plate glow over SSHV2.

You will see the mine soon ;)

Anto

Joined 2009
Paid Member
You know something weird, I had it in mind to ask what is going on with heaters next. Good. I wanna see picture of 80 yrs old AZ1 mesh plate glow over SSHV2.

Yes Sir:)

Attachments

• DSC00077.jpg
    DSC00077.jpg
    708.9 KB · Views: 283
  • DSC00078.jpg
    DSC00078.jpg
    492.6 KB · Views: 285
  • DSC00079.jpg
    DSC00079.jpg
    368.1 KB · Views: 264

Thank you Salas, I was talking about SSHV (1). So will start with a c-l-c configuration with two parallelled choke for a 60 mA current max and 68 R ccs value. Is also possible to reduce current ccs consumption to a value below 20 mA? Thinkin' about tu use two SSHV1 in a single HV rail and stand below 30 mA max.

I wanna see picture of 80 yrs old AZ1 mesh plate glow over SSHV2.

Anto

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member

Anto

Don't use less than 20mA for the reg itself, ups the Z, but yeah, if its like your choke is on edge for handling the total if you add for load too, what the heck, somewhat more Zo. Verify what you run there by VdropRset/RsetValue. Just because every led and fet ain't the same.

Don't use less than 20mA for the reg itself, ups the Z, but yeah, if its like your choke is on edge for handling the total if you add for load too, what the heck, somewhat more Zo. Verify what you run there by VdropRset/RsetValue. Just because every led and fet ain't the same.

Thanks Salas for your suggestions.:)

We avoid too big pictures for everybody to see easily. I cut them to 1200.

Ok Salas will do for the next:eek:

Anto

enjoying the low capacitance benefits of a mesh plate here? ;)
BTW that one pictured is a perforated plate, mesh is built from loose wires.

Salas,

I felt the urge to update my three year old PCBs for SSHVSR-version1 with kelvin connections. The plan is to run 30cm (twisted +/-) wires to the load. Now I hesitated to put the zobel at the load or across Q3. Any changes when employing IRFP9140 instead?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited: