Simplistic MosFET HV Shunt Regs

Example....

I found an example... as I said, the concern is related to the transformers specifications....

Attachments

• trafos.png
    trafos.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 303
I have bought a SSHV2 kit from TeaBag a while ago, but only have time to finish it recently, awaiting testing.

The SSHV2 will be used in my SET line amp with a pair of VT-25A. Each VT-25A is loaded with a CCS (C4S) setted at 12.5 mA.

The original PSU is as attached.
Do I need to modify the PSU for the best performace??

My worry is, the chokes are only rated at 40mA each and I need to set the T.P. to 45mA (12.5 + 12.5 + 20). Do I need to parallel the two chokes??

I plan to set the out-put of the SSHV2 at 270V for the amp....

Any suggestions/recommendations will be welcome.

Thankyou and cheers,

KIng

Attachments

• VT-25A PSU.jpg
    VT-25A PSU.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 295
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Yes you will need to parallel them so they can handle the 45mA constant current asked by the regulator they will now have to feed. This will also allow for less voltage drop across the pre-filtering. Your minimum input for good 270V output from SSHV2 should be 280V input. 290V is recommended to allow for mains play. Still if you know it will never give less than 280V DC to the reg in your area, then its enough. The tube rectifier needs to allow at more current now also.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Salas, sorry it wasn't clear... Let me try to explain graphically:

(home AC outlet 120V)=======(1st Trafo pri120V/sec220V)==========(2nd Trafo pri120+120V/sec12V)============(Ac output 240V)

120V ==================== PRI // SEC ===================== SEC // PRI ============================ 240V to rectifier/regulator

My concern (if it is possible) is to specify the trafo secondary current, so I can get enough current at the output....

Regards

Your primaries current ability should not change if you use them back or forth. So it should be what it was given by the manufacturers as primary max mA. I am very basic in transformer tricks knowledge, maybe I am wrong.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
10W will melt, 290V*0.045A=13W. That is why I suggested 22K//18K//18K 10W each. You need about 2 times the dissipated power in nominal resistor power to get very hot and 3 times to get rather comfortably hot. Your bleeder is now direct part of the load after the chokes move, yes. The other things you wrote are correct.