Simplistic MosFET HV Shunt Regs

Salas, George,

OK 40mA for the reg.
Yes my power amp with 100k input and I'd like to try anything recommended for I want to pull the best from both opt and the reg. I'd firstly try using the primary as choke with Murdorf silver/gold 0.47 then go on with resistive load so to compare.
Will report asap.
Albert

Salas & George,

Has done the compare with the RC & LC. I still like the LC, only 100H with 1660 10mA, it sounds a bit smoother to me. I need more higher B+ for the RC 22k load. RC measured a bit better with square wave up to 7K, 10k still acceptable and turned really ugly above 12k. LC is good up to 5.5k, sounds more open and not that congest/compress as 4.5:1. It also looks good down to 50 Hz. I'd like to try the LC route further with higher inductance choke, 200-300H. Will the reg handle the total of 600H, or I'll need another reg for the other channel ??
Albert

Ok guys, help me in my thinking:

I have just designed, etched and soldered my first Salas HV shunt reg (SSHV2). I would like to use it in a line stage, which will be a ~12mA load @ 200V. Hence I use a 15K dummy load (200/0.012=16.6K).

My raw supply is as follows (dual mono):
Transformer -> EZ80 -> CLCLC (-> SSHV2)

On the 100K bleeder resistor I am using, the PSU gives 220V.

When I attach the SSHV2 with a 15K load, I observe the following:
- SSHV2 led goes on (that's a good sign!)
- Input voltage is 125V... that's less that without load, but so much??
- Output voltage is 125V
- Across R5 (T.P.) I measure 95mV (so 9.5mA CCS)
- Turning any of the pots does not change output voltage/current

Am I missing something? The transformer has 100mA windings so should not be sagging so much....

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Ok guys, help me in my thinking:

I have just designed, etched and soldered my first Salas HV shunt reg (SSHV2). I would like to use it in a line stage, which will be a ~12mA load @ 200V. Hence I use a 15K dummy load (200/0.012=16.6K).

My raw supply is as follows (dual mono):
Transformer -> EZ80 -> CLCLC (-> SSHV2)

On the 100K bleeder resistor I am using, the PSU gives 220V.

When I attach the SSHV2 with a 15K load, I observe the following:
- SSHV2 led goes on (that's a good sign!)
- Input voltage is 125V... that's less that without load, but so much??
- Output voltage is 125V
- Across R5 (T.P.) I measure 95mV (so 9.5mA CCS)
- Turning any of the pots does not change output voltage/current

Am I missing something? The transformer has 100mA windings so should not be sagging so much....

DC input must be 20VDC higher than Vout target

CCS target must be 20mA more spare for proper regs power consumption to good output impedance spec so setup your CCS current accordingly 12mA target + 20mA shunt needs you must set your CCS to 32mA

Last edited:
aarghhh.... I don't have a suitable load resistor so can't test this Sunday. It'll have to wait until tomorrow.

Btw, PSUD2 tests it at 178V (which is too low for me, but still higher than I see when I hooked up the SSHV2)

Screen shot 2012-07-22 at 4.55.40 PM.png

You are probably right, but usually PSUD2 is quite spot-on:

I am using a transformer from a reputable source in Germany, multiple members have used it before without problems.

The chokes are specified by the same source as 330Ohm. I have modeled this correctly in PSUD2.

I did some further calculation, and think I could live with 170V input voltage (then I could have 150V output voltage which would work in my application). However I still don't understand this extreme sagging...

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Quite possibly, can't predict because it was never designed or tested like that. In any such a test I would move the gate resistor from PCB right at the pin (restore continuity at PCB also), hook scope on rail for oscillation stake out, and start at lower voltage if possible.