Simplistic MosFET HV Shunt Regs

Luck would have it that I became proto tester for the SSHV2. That came in handy since my C3G transformer coupled ‘test bed’ headphone amplifier
(yikes, what a name :p) had a Salas shunt reg from the beginning… starting with the Gen I built on Vero board and eventually being upgraded to the
SSHV1 (green board). So it was just a matter of exchanging regs, the prefilter remained pretty much the same (choke into CRC).
After all parts were collected actually populating the board was done in just a few hours, the clean layout of the board with two building blocks is easy
to read and very appreciated! Dialling in the desired values for CCS current and Vout was a matter of seconds. Really nice feature… and trouble free in
my case.

Soundwise things have changed a bit from SSHV1, and very much to my liking. Most noteable are a very natural and defined midrange and bass with the
treble regions taken back slightly. I wouldn’t call it warm sounding (since it doesn’t have any muddyness) but full… full with energy and with a layering of
instruments and details that is truly beautiful. Headphones are not known for a tremendous soundstage but SSHV2 has taken my HD800’s to a new level…
close your eyes and dive into the music ...

Where SSHV1 would sound a bit strained or exhibit glare the new Salas regulator remained coherent and natural even at ‘Live’ levels, with tremendous
detail across the spectrum. Needless to say that the reg is as quiet as it can be… turn your source on and music rises from absolute Nothing (… at least
that was my impression, figuratively :rolleyes:).

Was a pleasure to try the new board, well done Salas and Tea Bag!!

PS: this was the way how I built it, so no fancy caps or else (pretty standard Jantzen MKP's)... doors are open to modding...

Last edited:
Adding two pictures of my breadboard...

Attachments

• SSHV2-3.jpg
    SSHV2-3.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 677
  • SSHV2-4.jpg
    SSHV2-4.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 681
Luck would have it that I became proto tester for the SSHV2. That came in handy since my C3G transformer coupled ‘test bed’ headphone amplifier
(yikes, what a name :p) had a Salas shunt reg from the beginning… starting with the Gen I built on Vero board and eventually being upgraded to the
SSHV1 (green board). So it was just a matter of exchanging regs, the prefilter remained pretty much the same (choke into CRC).
After all parts were collected actually populating the board was done in just a few hours, the clean layout of the board with two building blocks is easy
to read and very appreciated! Dialling in the desired values for CCS current and Vout was a matter of seconds. Really nice feature… and trouble free in
my case.

Soundwise things have changed a bit from SSHV1, and very much to my liking. Most noteable are a very natural and defined midrange and bass with the
treble regions taken back slightly. I wouldn’t call it warm sounding (since it doesn’t have any muddyness) but full… full with energy and with a layering of
instruments and details that is truly beautiful. Headphones are not known for a tremendous soundstage but SSHV2 has taken my HD800’s to a new level…

Where SSHV1 would sound a bit strained or exhibit glare the new Salas regulator remained coherent and natural even at ‘Live’ levels, with tremendous
detail across the spectrum. Needless to say that the reg is as quiet as it can be… turn your source on and music rises from absolute Nothing (… at least

PS: this was the way how I built it, so no fancy caps or else (pretty standard Jantzen MKP's)... doors are open to modding...

Nice I have a similar SSHV1 but with WE417A (close cousin to your tube.) Also in the proces of upgrading, but I am just going to make a new amp module, parafeed this time. Interested to know what OPT you are using as the SSHV's handling of inductance is always called into question?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
my case.

Adding two pictures of my breadboard...

Nice work congratulations, wich schematic are you using for your headphones amp?

Nice I have a similar SSHV1 but with WE417A (close cousin to your tube.) Also in the proces of upgrading, but I am just going to make a new amp module, parafeed this time. Interested to know what OPT you are using as the SSHV's handling of inductance is always called into question?

Hi, I also use my SSHV2 into a OPT in my #26 pre. It is a ll1660pp, inductance about 200H, with absolutely no problems and thrilled with the sound.

Interested to know what OPT you are using as the SSHV's handling of inductance is always called into question?

regal,
my headphone OPT's are from a 'local' winder (Reinhoefer, of good reputation) and are about 10k:300. According to the datasheet they have a primary inductance of about 30H, but having no issues whatsoever.
Though I don't own a scope there is no harshness or unpleasant artefacts, just the very positive impressions as posted above.

Nice work congratulations, wich schematic are you using for your headphones amp?

Felipe, didn't I send that to you a little while ago? ;)

and thrilled with the sound.

:D:D

...the SSHV1 is powering my 5687 wot pre with LL1660 as well and have no issues whatsoever...brought it to another level.