Simplistic MosFET HV Shunt Regs

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Merlin see what's wrong feeding, grounding, or loading the regs. Something's fishy when two different ones give smoke.

I tested again the separate PSU and seems all OK

CLC, the last C is in the same quanghao reg 300uF

Attachments

• DSC00052.jpg
    DSC00052.jpg
    524.7 KB · Views: 599
Joined 2009
Paid Member
NO I didn't burned the dummy load. Yes I know it's necessary to use a dummy load or the circuit, but the Puresound phono MM was going on perfectly well with other 240VAC tx, I only changed the tx so I supposed that all will go OK that's the reason I didn't used a dummy load but the reg was connected to the MM.

Last edited:
A shunt regulator is safe without a dummy load.
The CCS half supplies constant current. Other than slight variations with temperature changes, you can never get more current through the CCS.

The Shunt then draws current. If the current from the CCS exceeds the load current and the shunt current then the output rises. The shunt adjusts and when the shunt current + the load current = CCS current the shunt is regulating the output voltage.
If the load current drops to zero the output voltage rises and the Shunt adjusts to draw more current and the voltage drops back to the regulated voltage.
If the CCS + Shunt cannot survive an open circuit output then the components have been chosen badly.

A CCS + Shunt regulator is virtually bombproof. Nothing outside the regulator can ever damage a properly built shunt regulator.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Yes I know is'nt necessary 1% resistor as dummy load but I have on my stash so I will use instead to buy a new one. 500R instead 47R or in series with B+?

Tx
rendering 90%
regulation 0.5%
Ampere 0.505 for 220 - RDC Ohms 11
primary RDC ohms 11
relation primary 230 / secondary 220 = n. 1,0455
relation n 1,0455 to the square 1,093

primary RDC ohms 11
relation n. to the square 1,093
source resistance 20 ohms