Simplistic MosFET HV Shunt Regs

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Can you define the low ripple roughly, as in the prototyping what were the incoming incoming ripple roughly (per sim like psud) ? I think I remember we discovered that SSHV1 did better with more pre-filtering than initially thought.

As far as the earlier post regarding using this reg with a CCS, I remember reading one of Olsen's presentations where there was a benefit to using a shunt reg before a CCS as far as isolating the music signal from the power supply. But remember you will lose 20V's headroom just inserting the reg, which may in many preamp designs be too much to allow the CCS to do its job. But most likely the 20V's can be gained back via loosening up the pre-filter in an existing design. But we probably need to nail down the max incoming ripple a bit (I imagine is depends on the load and shunt current.)

You mentioned some prefering CLC to CRC. One last question, does the output impedance of the prefiter matter at all?

10V is the safe limit. 20V we give for good measure not to underachieve with some Tx tolerance and/or mains drop during the day.

As for 120Hz ripple don't expect it to really pass, its more a matter of general grounding quality and absence of hum fields. See a Spice attachment for 30VP-P 120Hz ripple (blue) and output (green). From experience, the rectification's HF harmonics penetrate much easier like X rays any practical build through numerous parasitic paths. I don't think that any CCS is better firewall than a ballast resistor regarding such gremlins. That is why a basic CLC and not more than 200mV RMS AC riding Vin on the scope is a good rule of thumb. This CCS is cascode with smallest stable gate stoppers so to hold high well, but it won't surprise me if the rectification and filtering quality is possible to could be picked up still as a deeper black background or enhanced HF flow. Has a lot to do with the audio application's PSRR too. The output impedance of the pre-filter should not matter.

Attachments

• Ripple&OutputSSHV2.gif
    Ripple&OutputSSHV2.gif
    17.6 KB · Views: 1,130