Simplistic MosFET HV Shunt Regs

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
Some people prefer to have a regulator with a flat output impedance line in the audio frequency range. Have a look at the mosfet shunt regulator that we're talking about here, and notice where the line starts curving up (higher impedance). There's a variation of the low voltage Salas shunt regulator which I worked on a while ago, extending the low output impedance to much higher frequencies, such that it is completely flat in the audio frequency. Whether this is something you would like or not is besides the point. Some people do and even claim to hear a difference. However, this modification results in lower stability (gain margin) unless one is careful about, among other things, the input capacitance of the drive and shunt transistors (mosfet in this case).

Some people prefer to have a regulator with a flat output impedance line in the audio frequency range. Have a look at the mosfet shunt regulator that we're talking about here, and notice where the line starts curving up (higher impedance). There's a variation of the low voltage Salas shunt regulator which I worked on a while ago, extending the low output impedance to much higher frequencies, such that it is completely flat in the audio frequency. Whether this is something you would like or not is besides the point. Some people do and even claim to hear a difference. However, this modification results in lower stability (gain margin) unless one is careful about, among other things, the input capacitance of the drive and shunt transistors (mosfet in this case).

1. What's the worst case Zo over the entire audio band (20Hz-20kHz) of the present Salas Shunt?
2. Tube based shunt regulator will have constant Zo over the audio band, however, will the Zo be lower than the worst case Salas Shunt?
3. Did anyone make a sonic comparison between lower un-constant Zo, versus higher but constant Zo? This question is the most important one when considering between tube and SS shunt regulator.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
1. What's the worst case Zo over the entire audio band (20Hz-20kHz) of the present Salas Shunt?

Here's a sim graph, @ 58mA CCS, 20mA load.

Attachments

• Zo.gif
    Zo.gif
    14.8 KB · Views: 500
I just have to mention the original shunt regulators were tubes! Of course gas discharge tubes which come in fixed voltages and are by today's standards noisy. But I have seen tube shunt filters used with some success.

I always find oscillation if trying to use a gas discharge tube directly :)
Loading a pentode gate should be fine though.. diagrams..

Mounting a tube socket + tube is much easier (hole punch + 2 M3 bolts) than a PCB and a heatsink (probably sitting at 400V) for me.

With the right gate drive I can't see why a power pentode like the GU50 should not make a perfect shunt :). It just needs to be told which voltage to shunt at...

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
We should mention BJTs also if lower capacitances than in Mosfets are to be the main goal.

Of course, bjts will bring their own advantages and disadvantages. As I said, some people will prefer a flat output impedance curve in the audio frequency, others will not be convinced. I don't even talk for myself, as I haven't gotten that far yet. But when it comes to technical stuff, we can choose. The guy asked for a shunt reg based on tubes, and it happens I have thought about it, but didn't go as far as to bother with a design. Just thinking out loud for now, that's all. :)

I placed my order to 'quanghao' for two boards and paid him through paypal over 2 weeks. I sent him couple email in between and tried to know when probably I'd have my two boards, but with no response. Please be warned not to send him any money before he clears this transaction.

The boards arrived today. It took almost 7 weeks, but the boards are in very good quality. Warning released.

On the C3 zobel cap I upgraded from a cheap polyester box cap to a 1uF K75-10 bypassed with a .022uf T-1. I am pretty surprised of the improved sound, I definately recommend folks experimient with thier favorite caps in this position.

Although the bass is improced, these big caps seem to have picked up a very low pitched subtle hum only audible with high sensitivity headphones. Should I try grounding the cap
s cases or just go with a different style cap like clarity caps?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
You don't need the cascode for 60V. Its no better in this circuit, we just do it to go over 300Vo. You will also need to size down the R4s so to use some 1-2mA current from the jfet for your voltage bracket in mind. Also size R3 for ~5mA. You will not need protection Zeners for ~60V too.