Simplistic Mosfet HV Shunt Regs - Page 371 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th December 2012, 10:09 AM   #3701
diyAudio Member

Yes...I am back on now....but I have had 3 experiences with "Attack Site" with "FireFox" trying to go to this link.....
Old 27th December 2012, 10:21 AM   #3702
Stixx is offline Stixx  Germany
I am
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoch58 View Post
info
Firefox marked the forum as an "Attack site".
Hey, thanks for providing this information. It helps to know what's going on and I'm not the only one seeing this!
I still get the warning everytime I try to load the Diyaudio site...

And happily ignore it
Old 28th December 2012, 12:32 AM   #3703
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
Nice photos. When you blow there, yes its normal to drift. There is no ventilation there in your build, so help them Q4 Q5 out with sinking when able.
Yes, before using SSHV2, there is not much heat in the box....now I think I will try and mount the power transformer, and the caps with spacers, leaving a gap so there could be circulation.....( the back is never fully enclosed ).....
Old 30th December 2012, 04:09 PM   #3704
diyAudio Member

Seasons Greetings.

I am still struggling with this vari-mu compressor build - mainly it's stability. And after many hours of trying to debug I started to play around with the SSHV2 boards I have and I came into all sorts of trouble.

With the unit in true bypass, the reg boards seem to be injecting noise into the circuit somehow. This is solved by changing the current trim pot and output voltage trim pot, but I can now not get back to the original values.

I have been playing with it for most of the day now and have got to the point where I need to ask for help. The true bypass is a coax running from input to output ettectively, and the input side is grounded at one end. So are my regs injecting noise into the ground and that is being picked up by the cable?

I have tried a couple of combinations of transformers I have, the one I am using is rated at 100mA and I am not using near that, and it is not getting hot so I am assuming that it is OK.

So maybe my boards are oscillating or maybe I have implimented them wrongly to cause oscillation... Could someone suggest whether that is correct and how I might solve it?

Thanks for any advice.

Charlie
Old 30th December 2012, 04:12 PM   #3705
diyAudio Member

If you have scope see if the reg oscillates with a dummy load.
Old 30th December 2012, 04:20 PM   #3706
diyAudio Member

Both regs have been working fine up until now, I am pretty sure they are oscillating but do not know the cause. Especially the reason for it shunting noise to ground - this may be normal when oscillating - I do not know.

Thanks
Old 30th December 2012, 04:23 PM   #3707
diyAudio Member

Can be easily a bad connected cable, etc. Are you sure all 4 wires are well connected?
Old 30th December 2012, 04:45 PM   #3708
diyAudio Member

Yes they are solid connections. I will continue experimenting but may need some fresh eyes on it tomorrow...
Old 30th December 2012, 04:47 PM   #3709
diyAudio Member

As you checked your two caps are pcb elevated to avoid a bad connection?

p.s. sorry for me terrible English.
Old 31st December 2012, 06:21 AM   #3710
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSlee View Post
Both regs have been working fine up until now, I am pretty sure they are oscillating but do not know the cause. Especially the reason for it shunting noise to ground - this may be normal when oscillating - I do not know.

Thanks
What changed in the full circuitry, at what point they started acting up? Are all semis in the regs showing working voltages like VGS, VBE? Was there a certain incident or revision, or an active part likely to have changed behavior in the client? A rewiring? Have you actually seen AC waveforms riding the DC line on a scope? When oscillating weird things happen all over, so its not unlikely for oscillation actuallly happening. Are there any capacitors from rail to ground or series connected parts on the rail after the reg's output? If yes, what are they?

Hide this!Advertise here!