Simplistic Mosfet HV Shunt Regs - Page 352 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th November 2012, 07:09 PM   #3511
diyAudio Member

Thanks George.
Old 24th November 2012, 07:31 PM   #3512
Salas is online now Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Old 24th November 2012, 07:40 PM   #3513
diyAudio Member

Old 25th November 2012, 11:59 AM   #3514
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by king4joy Click the image to open in full size.
Salas...if you remember, with your help, I have added a SSHV2 to my CCS (C4S) loaded VT-25A line amp. Adding the SSHV2, all hums are gone....however, a light zzzzzssssszzzz....takes over....(which I can live with, although my friends cannot....)....I think this could be because of old tubes.....Salas, what you think??
And with the SSHV2 added, I feel that the music has become a bit restricted...less lively....less fluid.....what I think is I should get rid of the C4S, and instead going back to use resistors to load my tube with your SSHV2.....with a good quality resistor after your board, it should act like a CCS anyway, with the added avdvantage of setting the loading current (voltage across the resistor) easily with your board......
Your board opens up opportunities for me to fine tune my amp with much less fuss and more joys.
Will report back further later....thankyou....

zzzz means you gotta sort out some small ground loop somewhere or some tube problem that surfaced better after the hum blanket has gone.
Try the resistor indeed.

Salas....I have tried using resistors //12K to load the tubes instead of C4S, with your SSHV2....the music comes back to live again....with no hummmm at all....just a little bit of insect noise at the left channel....I am able to trace and find where that insect lives....it was in the filament transformer for the left channel.....the noise should be gone when I next change that transformer....

But the music has a ever so slightly muddy background to it....I think it is because I am using only one board to load the two channels.

Is there anything that I can do to improve channel seperation when using only one board??

Thankyou so very much, Salas, for your board.

Cheers,

King
Old 25th November 2012, 12:02 PM   #3515
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

King,
are you saying that the C4s did not sound good enough?
And are you saying that the Salas Shunt reg improved the amplifier when reverting to a resistor feed?
Old 25th November 2012, 12:31 PM   #3516
Salas is online now Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by king4joy View Post
Is there anything that I can do to improve channel seperation when using only one board??

Thankyou so very much, Salas, for your board.

Cheers,

King
We would need full schematic and total build photos to possibly say something constructive about your query.
Old 25th November 2012, 12:54 PM   #3517
diyAudio Member

AndrewT....with my situation....the amp sounded better with C4S than resistors, BEFORE using SSHV2.....and when I added SSHV2 in the beginning, I was using SSHV2 and C4S...then I found the music is a bit constricted....so I talked to Salas....and together we both think that I should try using resistors again with SSHV2 (I hope you can understand my English....if not, please ask again.

With SSHV2 no hummmmmms.....and should be dead quiet if not for that transformer I have.

Salas....I will prepare schematic and build photos... it may take a couple of days....thanks in advance.
Old 25th November 2012, 01:05 PM   #3518
diyAudio Member

AndrewT....a bit more about the amp I am talking about....it is a VT-25A cap out put line amp...PSU is 83 tube rectified, choke input....first resistors loaded....that changed to C4S loaded....then added Rod filament boards....and now added SSHV2 and go back to use resistors loading...
Old 25th November 2012, 01:06 PM   #3519
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

quite a lot of experimentation.
Old 25th November 2012, 01:15 PM   #3520
diyAudio Member

Quite a lot of fun....and most finally rewarding with live music in my room....

All I did was to pick a tube with good potential....and work on it....till it gets better again....and never look back since DIYing.

Hide this!Advertise here!