Simplistic Mosfet HV Shunt Regs - Page 350 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th November 2012, 05:03 PM   #3491
Jogi is offline Jogi  Germany
diyAudio Member

yup, was all fine. I was about to close the lid, but wanted to adjust the heater reg precisely to 6,3v and probably moved the input wire a bit. Spark! I was just seconds away from peace of mind
Old 19th November 2012, 05:13 PM   #3492
Salas is online now Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

So its not the grounding or the installation details. Look, use 100mA fast fuse ceramic 6x32mm in line with the DC line positive that goes to the reg input next time. And leave it there. Use good light and inspect with a lens for wire strands. Keep C1 and C2 bit proud off board. Use 470R R1, R2 this time. Use a decoupling 0.1uF to 1uF 450V volt MKP across the reg's input directly. Make sure that your cabling to it and out of it is 400V or more insulation rated and twist them as pairs. Tin the ends that go to the connector, or solder them for security along with the decoupling cap for input. Go slow, check the CCS alone as Merlin did with low voltage first. And good luck! You had been particularly jinxed with shorting.

P.S. about 6.1V DC heaters are better for tube life most of the time. Set heaters individually and turn the HV on later next try.
Old 19th November 2012, 05:48 PM   #3493
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jogi View Post
Congrats, Merlin....really good sound with those regs, when they are working. I replaced the sk117 and irf840, no result. But I received a mail from Teabag today saying that the PCB including 2 sets of semis is sent, so I am going to wait some days and then rebuild it from the ground again. This time I'll use crimped wires and lots of patience and so on...when done, I'll post a pic of a nice black meshie AZ1 from Miniwatt Italy, never seen before.
Thanks I have also AZ1 mine Siemens, don't forget to use it as Graetz rectification with a couple of UF4007, superb sound, it's really incredible the difference, please use the 1st psu cap after AZ1 0.47uF rated minimum 1000V & don't use a lot of big capacitance psu caps: maximum CRC 0.47uF-0.47R+27uF. I use 0.47uF 1500V Auricap-0.47R non inductive like Mills-27uF 400V Solen this combo together SSHV2 it's the best tube PSU I have ear....
Old 19th November 2012, 08:17 PM   #3494
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys for the good advice, did already most of it, except the fuse thing.Last PS cap is close by, 20cm or so.
Powersupply is AZ1- 1F-10H choke-150f-7H-47F film cap, so pretty nicely filtered. The 150 seems a bit big, but this was I had in the drawer, and for phono I don't want unnecessary hum or noise. Interesting though the Graetz thing, you mean using this together with AZ1? Could imagine it would have better bass and sounding tighter maybe.
BTW I really love those AZ1, gorgeous tube, still somehow not identified by the American and Eastern DIYers. Look at prices for EML mesh rectifiers, insane...
Old 19th November 2012, 08:21 PM   #3495
diyAudio Chief Moderator

20cm can be close when all is well and far enough if there is transient energy to kick back with the inductance it adds, better decouple right at reg's input with 0.1 to 1uF for peace of mind.

AZ1 and various rare Euro tubes are awesome bits of audio marvel and history.
Old 19th November 2012, 08:32 PM   #3496
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jogi View Post
Look at prices for EML mesh rectifiers, insane...
Tele Klangfilm 1930s AZ1 mesh globe should be yummy. Did you ever chance on any war time one with the Wehrmacht eagle sign by the way? Those are highly collectible and can command vertigo prices if immaculate.
Old 19th November 2012, 09:35 PM   #3497
euro21 is online now euro21  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin el mago View Post
Sorry my mistake
Merlin, where did you buy this blue grommets? Mcmaster-Carr?
Old 20th November 2012, 11:11 AM   #3498
diyAudio Member

I don't know was a present of massimo, he knows a person travelling from Italy to USA that bought for us the grommets.
Old 20th November 2012, 11:28 AM   #3499
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
Tele Klangfilm 1930s AZ1 mesh globe should be yummy. Did you ever chance on any war time one with the Wehrmacht eagle sign by the way? Those are highly collectible and can command vertigo prices if immaculate.

Nope, never had my greedy hands on those. Seems that the Wehrmacht stuff triggers some strange romantic feelings people are ready to shell out big $ for. But they are very nice indeed of course. Good thing is, that sonically the ones without the eagle are the same, if they are from the same age around the 40ies.
I am always fascinated when 70 year old tubes start to glow again and make music, somehow unbelievable. And they all sound different, Teles are the most resolving, Philips second in that area, Valvo softer with bloom, meshies in general more airy and lit up.
And for higher current there is AZ12 or AZ50...
Old 20th November 2012, 12:13 PM   #3500
diyAudio Member

It's true every tube has is own sonics perfomance.

Hide this!Advertise here!