Simplistic MosFET HV Shunt Regs

Yes it is. But as I said before I am using only MM part as in post #6777. On weekend I will redesign my power supply board to make things nicer. I tried to power up two shunt regulators for dual mono but I can not get enough power on the input. Only getting about 280V on the input when I need 285V on both outputs for EAR834P. Transformer secondary is rated 250V 100mA AC but probably overrated. So I ordered new transformer with double secondary and will make two independent power supplies for both channels. Also will make independent power supply for heaters. Next test will be with FVP5A from Vacuum State Electronics. I do not have much information about it but some people built it with success.

Reactions: 1 user
Today just playing with simulator and want to find an optimal solution for RAW DC. Still can not decide what to use, tube rectification or solid state with some voltage regulation. Tube rectifier (modeling with EZ80) at the output in addition of 100Hz ripple has some strange low frequency fluctuation (5-7 Hz). I think I saw the same on oscilloscope but I should check it again.
And for shunt regulator I am using slightly different values for R3 330R instead of 220R, R4 500R instead of 200R, R11 500R instead of 1k, R12 1k instead of 470R and Q6 2SK880GR instead of 2SK117GR. How can these values impact limiting regulation values of shunt regulator?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
VLF cycling is a thing usually met in passively filtered PSUs. As the mains slowly moves up & down, if the reservoir caps aren't holding enough peak charge for a given load consumption and the rectifier dips much in voltage while replenishing them, the final DC value also goes up & down in sync. Using Duncan's PSUD2 sim for the Raw DC part? Its quite practical for that. Has many classic rectifier tubes models in its menu.

Regarding different higher values of R3 R4 in your SSHV2 that seems the reason why you could not set less than 30mA constant current in a previous post. The other non standard parts values you mention can change the adjustment range of Id current the JFET gives to the Ref voltage developing R9 R10 resistors. Max Id adjust has to do with the specific Q6 sample's Idss value too. K117 K880 K209 are the same JFET in different packages. How much temperature inertia a package affords has to contribute in the Vout's drift. Otherwise no difference from the TO-92 K117 in the original design.
Yours is self made non original board so I don't know an SMD Q6's temp cycle there. If Vout drift eases acceptably after warm up time for your build then its OK.

Thank you for lessons. Yes, I know PSUD2 simulator but I am using LTSpice at the moment. Voltage at the SSHV2 output is stable, it drifts slightly first 10 min and then it is stable. And sorry for many questions not related to SSHV2. I really appreciate your help. Thank you!

Here is SSHV2 in action with a copy of Allen Wright FVP5A phono preamp. So far just one channel but it works great :)
IMG_9734.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Hi, I am just 10y late to the game Is this reg still a buildable project? PCB and any tricky/obsolete components? I saw a scheme floating around that uses sk177gr. If anyone has a couple extra PCBs I would be happy to buy them. Please PM. I am interested in building one of Bartola Valves preamps.
thanks!

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
2SA1381 original is the real equivalent. Substitutions can be other 300V PNP but usually slower i.e. less in MHz. MJE350 is useful.
There is also the TO220 MJE5730 which needs to be turned around for orientation even if when persuaded to fit the small space.

Min & max Idss can be compensated with the trimmer value and depends on Vout goal too. As it is collaborates better with GR Idss range.
As long as you can reach target Vout with the Idss in hand and the standard trimmer, the circuit works properly.

Hi Salas

I'm trying to power my phono below with SSHV2, According to the document, the phono would take around 60-70mA for both channels (total 140mA if my understanding is correct) but the SSHV2 can only output 8xmA at 250V when I connected it to a dummy load. How can I modify the SSHV2 so that it can be used for my phono? Thanks in advance for your advice.
Toccoto MK II Pre-amp.jpg

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi, the SSHV2 can usually be set to 100-110mA constant current max depending on DN2540 Q1 Q2 samples IDSS tolerances. You can't modify those DMOSFETS limits. This means 80-90mA max to the load since 20mA spare current space is advised for proper output impedance.