Simplistic Mosfet HV Shunt Regs - Page 341 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th October 2012, 01:31 AM   #3401
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger57 View Post
Salas,
I ran the regulator with 450V in for about 2 hours and there is no issues, and no noise or oscillation I also switched it on and off about 30 times, to 435V in, about where it will be operating, with no issues
Thanks for your help,
Gary
Gary, have you got any pics from your circa 400V operating regs?
Old 28th October 2012, 02:14 AM   #3402
roger57 is offline roger57  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
Gary, have you got any pics from your circa 400V operating regs?
I'm in the middle of wine bottling, but I will send the picture in about an hour when I'm done.

Gary
Old 28th October 2012, 02:26 AM   #3403
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Is your Q1 sink at safe thermal level after running long with 450-375 or 435-375 difference times 50mA? If that aspect is OK too you are done.
Old 28th October 2012, 06:07 AM   #3404
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Is your Q1 sink at safe thermal level after running long with 450-375 or 435-375 difference times 50mA? If that aspect is OK too you are done.
Q1 heatsink is at 39C after 3 hours of 445V input and 375V output. Total current through Q1 is 50mA, with 30mA to 12.4K load.

I have cycled it numerous times on-off and it seems to be ok with that. The Q1 FET is rated for 60W (800ma). It's also 4.5 ohms Rds so that helps a bit too.

I'm using 2 of these in my Class A amplifier. This one will supply the driver, long-tail pair and differential CCS. The other will be for the screen supply, where I'll be at 350V out but total current at 75mA. For that regulator, I will probably heatsink Q1 as I've done with Q3 (see picture) as it will have more differential and current.

I am looking forward to hearing the difference between this and my present "Maida" regulators. If it's anything like my DAC, it should be fantastic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Salas_Shunt_Operating_445V_In.jpg (756.1 KB, 225 views)
Old 28th October 2012, 06:19 AM   #3405
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Looks like running great then. Congrats. Will need that silver sink, at 375V 20mA spare is 7.5W constant. You may try a bit more if the thermals will allow, if it can give you some more sonic. You will judge after you get familiar and the build is a bit run in.
373.7 on the FLUKE 45 is the drift from 375 after 3 hours? 445 on the FLUKE 75 is from a bench PSU? Is it tube or SS?
Old 28th October 2012, 05:21 PM   #3406
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Looks like running great then. Congrats. Will need that silver sink, at 375V 20mA spare is 7.5W constant. You may try a bit more if the thermals will allow, if it can give you some more sonic. You will judge after you get familiar and the build is a bit run in.
373.7 on the FLUKE 45 is the drift from 375 after 3 hours? 445 on the FLUKE 75 is from a bench PSU? Is it tube or SS?
I think that sink is only 2C/W heat rise, pretty minimal. However, I have a plan that will set both regulators on to the same aluminum heatsink, with both Q1 and Q3 tabbed directly to the sink below, as the photo shows with Q3. I agree with you, the better the thermals, allows for better sound when it comes to regulators, and as a bonus, they last longer.

Yes - after 3 hours. It was set to exactly 374, so it's out by 300mV. Salas should be happy with that.
The beige box is a bench supply I built with a spare Hammond transformer. Added the 193N choke after to get noise right down, but no room inside. It also has a 3A, 6.3 (linear) filament supply. The filament supply is floating at 1/4 B+ for circuits that might need this.

Tube or SS:
My amplifiers are tube, 6L6GC running 4 tubes push-pull parallel per side. The power supply chassis is separate. They produce 42W RMS per channel from 20Hz to 30KHz +/-0.3dB, with 0.25% distortion. The output transformers are from a Sansui AU-111 tube amplifier, so I am taking advantage of the 10% cathode feedback tap in the output circuit. They sound very good now, but I'm confident your great regulator design will send them over the top. I have 2 (two) pairs of these, picture attached is just one pair. The logo and name are mine, but these are one-off amplifiers built for me. You cannot find those output transformers anywhere so making more is out of the question!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Amplifier_Set_1.jpg (839.3 KB, 206 views)
Old 28th October 2012, 06:11 PM   #3407
diyAudio Member

Hashimoto Sansui Vacuum tube transformer
Old 28th October 2012, 06:19 PM   #3408
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoch58 View Post
It's possible you can still get them, mine are original. That's Isao Asakura's website, nice man, we swapped lots of emails when I started my design.

I posted my amp details in context of Salas' shunt regulator being used there, so we shouldn't post any more on this subject in this thread.

Regards,
Gary
Old 28th October 2012, 08:48 PM   #3409
10y is offline 10y  Italy
diyAudio Member

Hi,
is it possible to use sshv2 or 1 to stabilize an 845 or other power tube negative grid supply ?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Ciao,

Anto
Old 28th October 2012, 09:54 PM   #3410
diyAudio Chief Moderator

There is SSHV1 negative.

Hide this!Advertise here!