Simplistic Mosfet HV Shunt Regs - Page 334 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th October 2012, 08:47 PM   #3331
diyAudio Member

Can be the Lundahl output transformers? or I'm very tired....
Old 17th October 2012, 09:04 PM   #3332
vgeorge is offline vgeorge  Greece
diyAudio Member

Transformers wired 4,25:1 stepdown as I told you before.
Try to think about it when you relax!
Old 18th October 2012, 02:59 AM   #3333
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
Are those capacitor bottoms with wires exiting from black blobs belonging to Obbligato film in oil cans?
Salas, yes three of them are Obblingators....are they OK caps??

At the moment, I have four wires (24 AWG teflon insulated) from the PSU chassis to the Amp chassis, only in the amp chassis they then branch into 8 wires, with 4 wires going to each tube....is that arrangement OK??

My chassis is non-metalic..(fiberglass top, with wooden sides).....I have connected all metal cases of the transformers to the earth (the third pin of the AC plug).....do I still have to connect the PSU ground to the earth??

And do I need to have an earth at the Amp chassis as well??

What fuse should I use??

Cheers....
Old 18th October 2012, 03:58 AM   #3334
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

OK caps.

You mean the reg output 4 wires? The 4 wires should end as 2 centralized feed points at the amp where they close circuit as F+&S+, F0&S0. The branches should start there, try to keep their lengths equal.

If the rectification capacitors are on mains earth by (-) pins then the whole 0 line to the amp is connected there through the reg already. Have it like that for safety.

Don't know about fuse, depends on the VA rating of your transformer and your mains. What is it in Hong Kong, 220V 50 Hz? If you have say a 50VA transformer a 250mA primary fuse would maybe be OK on such mains.
Old 18th October 2012, 04:22 AM   #3335
diyAudio Member

Yes, the reg output 4 wires....and one tuibe is about 4 inches further away from the branch point.

I was thinking of at the branch point branch each wire into 2, and have 4 wires to each tube....but it is simplier to be able to close circuit at the branch point, and have 4 wires to each tube.....the wire from the branch point to the tube about 12 inches long....one tube about 4 inches longer...

The caps are not on earth at the moment.....so I need to connect the PSU ground to the earth....shall do...

Yes, in Hong Kong...it is 220V 50HZ.....I will check the rating of the transformers...

Cheers....
Old 18th October 2012, 04:23 AM   #3336
diyAudio Member

but it is simplier to be able to close circuit at the branch point, and have 4 wires to each tube.....(should read 2 wires to each tube...)
Old 18th October 2012, 04:31 AM   #3337
diyAudio Chief Moderator

The sense circuit can sense only one node for B+ and one node for GND. Close them somewhere equidistant to the tubes. From there its single wire normal branches to the tubes B+, GND.
Old 18th October 2012, 12:54 PM   #3338
diyAudio Member

Salas....just a thought.....what if I get rid of the branching point and close the circuit at the tube (the CCS that is loading the tube).......what I mean is I bring the F+ to tube one, and S+ to tube 2...and jumpper across with a 4 inch jumper there.......same with F0 and S0....

According to your experience, would that be any worse??
Old 18th October 2012, 01:01 PM   #3339
diyAudio Chief Moderator

You NEVER separate the ++,00 wire pairs coming from the reg. You bridge the points of psu interest in the audio circuit and you close the reg pairs in mid distance to them if possible.
Old 18th October 2012, 01:11 PM   #3340
diyAudio Member

""...You NEVER separate the ++,00 wire pairs coming from the reg...."".....understand.

""...you close the reg pairs in mid distance to them if possible....""...and shall do.

""...You bridge the points of psu interest in the audio circuit...""...not quite understand exactly...please explain a bit more....

Cheers....

Hide this!Advertise here!