Simplistic Mosfet HV Shunt Regs - Page 318 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th September 2012, 09:28 PM   #3171
diyAudio Member

Default Balancing power/conditioner

While looking at building a PSU, I came across a design by Occam on Audiocircle: the Felicia balancing powerconditioner.

Another member produced this alternate circuit (schematic below) that I thought might work with either the SSHV and SSLV reg's. (Felicia Balancing PowerConditioner Constructor's Thread).
More on the original cct here:FELICIA - A DIY Balanced Power Conditioner

Salas, do you think this might be a worthwhile improvement to either of the reg's or there would be no significant advantage using the balancing power/conditioner.?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Felicia.jpg (21.3 KB, 249 views)
Old 26th September 2012, 10:04 PM   #3172
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

If it does something good it should be good for whatever comes after it. Still when I haven't tried it I can't give any expert opinion.
Old 26th September 2012, 10:58 PM   #3173
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus1 View Post
While looking at building a PSU, I came across a design by Occam on Audiocircle: the Felicia balancing powerconditioner.

Another member produced this alternate circuit (schematic below) that I thought might work with either the SSHV and SSLV reg's. (Felicia Balancing PowerConditioner Constructor's Thread).
More on the original cct here:FELICIA - A DIY Balanced Power Conditioner

Salas, do you think this might be a worthwhile improvement to either of the reg's or there would be no significant advantage using the balancing power/conditioner.?
What is seen in the attached photo is an isolation transformer with balanced output.
I have 4 such isolation transformers in my audio setup (1 for the Power Amp, 1 for the pre-amp and phono stage, 1 for the CD Player and 1 for the Audio/Video Receiver and the Universal Player [both have switching PSU]).
Isolation Transformers, especially those with balanced output, are great for improving the sound of the setup.
Old 5th October 2012, 01:11 AM   #3174
asdiasx is offline asdiasx  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to asdiasx
Default Transformer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus1 View Post
Ah, OK, been doing a bit of reading on safety aspects of using a transformer - thanks.
I've have got an isolating transformer that I use for my power tools so I might use that to try-out the reg.
Hi! Does anybody know if I can use 2 12V transformers (secondaries together) so I can get the same voltage from the outlet? If OK how to calculate the current specification for the secondaries?

Thanks and regards,

Adriano

Last edited by asdiasx; 5th October 2012 at 01:14 AM.
Old 5th October 2012, 01:06 PM   #3175
diyAudio Member

Default What to feed the SALAS regulator?

Excuse me if this has been discussed one hundred times but I have not found it addressed.

Is there a general recommendation for what precedes the SALAS?

I plan on using a CLC filter after a tube rectifier. I figure this is what should be used (the CLC part) but would welcome recommendations.

Has anyone used the LUNDAHL chokes in the "improved common mode rejection" connection? Is it worth the trouble?

Also, did I read that using a choke after the regulator is not good. Would someone assure me this is correct?

Excuse this if it has been repeated (ad nauseum) - but with TEABAG's group buy I suspect there are a few of us who have not kept up with the thread since the beginning who would like to know.

Thanks to Mr. Salas for his generosity and TEABAG for his making this easy for folks like me! And thanks to any who offer answers.
Old 5th October 2012, 01:16 PM   #3176
diyAudio Chief Moderator

There is no certain passive pre-filter guide because everybody has his budget and his preference and the reg will not object different stuff like choke input, RC, CRC, CLC, tube rectifier, solid state bridge. The only guide lines are decouple with a small value capacitor across the reg's input if there is more than short cabling coming in from last filter output cap, and don't use extra filtering inductance on its output. It will certainly destroy its output characteristics and can make it oscillate even.
Old 5th October 2012, 01:21 PM   #3177
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdiasx View Post
Hi! Does anybody know if I can use 2 12V transformers (secondaries together) so I can get the same voltage from the outlet? If OK how to calculate the current specification for the secondaries?

Thanks and regards,

Adriano
120VAC secondaries in series you mean? That will give you 240VAC at half the current.
Old 5th October 2012, 03:41 PM   #3178
diyAudio Member

Default Follow up to feeding the SALAS

Mr. Salas,

Thanks for your advice.

I guess I should have made this clearer: is there anything one should not do?

I have read of some regulators that want an almost direct connection to the rectifier and then there are those that benefit from additional filtering before the final scrubbing. An example of the former would be the BELLESON.

If expense was not a consideration how far would you go with the pre-filter?

Where would you guess one reaches the point of diminishing returns?

(hope this is not perceived as argumentative!)

Thanks again,
Old 5th October 2012, 03:45 PM   #3179
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Valve rectifier and choke input (LC) with polypropylene caps bank would be nice for instance. Still I would be sure it works well in my application when generically set up in a pre-test. Test drive before you splash out.
Old 5th October 2012, 04:55 PM   #3180
asdiasx is offline asdiasx  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to asdiasx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
120VAC secondaries in series you mean? That will give you 240VAC at half the current.
Hi Salas, sorry it wasn't clear... Let me try to explain graphically:

(home AC outlet 120V)=======(1st Trafo pri120V/sec220V)==========(2nd Trafo pri120+120V/sec12V)============(Ac output 240V)

120V ==================== PRI // SEC ===================== SEC // PRI ============================ 240V to rectifier/regulator

My concern (if it is possible) is to specify the trafo secondary current, so I can get enough current at the output....

Regards

Last edited by asdiasx; 5th October 2012 at 05:02 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!