Simplistic MosFET HV Shunt Regs

Nick,

I just fired up my first SSHV2 and with a dummy load I get exactly what I need for B+ and current. Here lies the problem: I'm powering the reg with a tube FW rectifier (Type 80). The regs input is going to see some 380VDC before the tubes start conducting (which is fine from the input) but until the tubes conduct your regulator will see a very high load. With the dummy load and the audio circuit I of course cannot get the desired B+. How small of a bleed load can I employ to keep the reg from getting damaged until tube conduction happens?

On a side note, my audio circuit is dead quit with the regulator, and I could not get it so with CLCLC supply, therefore, this reg is really really good!

Cheers,

Greg

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
How small of a bleed load can I employ to keep the reg from getting damaged until tube conduction happens?

Hi

While unloaded, all the CCS current simply goes to ground through the output Mosfet. If setting is 40mA for 300V that is 12W Mosfet dissipation for as long as the unloading lasts. So some small bleeding wouldn't make any real difference.