Simplistic MosFET HV Shunt Regs

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Theoretically yes but as physical constructions with double the area and more cables maybe more susceptible to buzzes? Zout should go down also. Another way is to use some IXYS type with more IDSS and VGS at least for Q1 so it allows more VDS for Q2 too. Maybe it could go to 150mA or more that way. Sinking always becomes a bigger problem when the mA at HV go up and up though.

SSHv2 working with negative voltage

Hello Mr. Salas, I will soon upload pictures of my phono preamplifier with the SSHV2, it works great.
I have a question for you, I have my preamp a grounted grid, which works with symmetric psu, and I want to install two SSHV2.
As SSHV2 would be to operate with negative voltage in this case -210V.
Very thankful:confused:

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hello, it will be nice to see your pics and to know more about how your phono sounds now.

In low voltage applications we sometimes use separate secondary, bridges, and filter capacitors, to make a (+/-) from two positive regulators connected like batteries in series with a midpoint reference but I don't know if it could work with HV SSHV2 too without practical problems because I never tested it in such an HV config. Anyway here is how its done for anyone who would want to try and report. Shown in Kelvin output wiring mode.

Attachments

• PSU Symmetry 2 x Positive.jpg
    PSU Symmetry 2 x Positive.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 431
attach a power diode from + to 0 at the load and a second power diode from 0 to - at the load.
diode +ve goes to the more +ve terminal in both locations.

These diodes will turn on the filament of a Mains Bulb Tester if you get the wiring wrong. And more importantly limit the reverse voltage to <1Vdc

Hello, it will be nice to see your pics and to know more about how your phono sounds now.

In low voltage applications we sometimes use separate secondary, bridges, and filter capacitors, to make a (+/-) from two positive regulators connected like batteries in series with a midpoint reference but I don't know if it could work with HV SSHV2 too without practical problems because I never tested it in such an HV config. Anyway here is how its done for anyone who would want to try and report. Shown in Kelvin output wiring mode.
Thank you Mr. Salas.
Soon I will start up with my preamplifier.
Regarding my phono preamplifier is still under construction I still lack components.
I will comment your sound with your new psu
I attached you scheme.

Attachments

• 6s15P and ECC808.GIF
    6s15P and ECC808.GIF
    18.6 KB · Views: 548
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The simulator says yes. It won't react bad to a 10uF 450V electrolytic Vref filter cap C2. For substituting the C1 0.33uF Zobel termination cap (works together with R6) the closest you will probably find at 450V is 1uF and you should also replace R6 with a shorting link because such a small electrolytic should have enough ESR of its own. Also expect a somewhat less defined sound vs using the original BOM's polypropelene parts of course. This can be synergistic or not to what your application is.