Simplistic MosFET HV Shunt Regs

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Dear Salas,
Assume the master regulator retain in the power supply, what would happen if replacing the slave regulator (the one close to signal path) with your SSHV2?

What the differences between slave regulator and your SSHV2 for this application?

Thanks!

If done well with no oscillations and no additional interference noise, then some subjective differences between series with chip and a simple shunt I would guess. Don't try that without a scope.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Its little CCS range for Q1 & Q2 nonetheless. They usually go up to about 100mA in this arrangement. Measure R5. Is it 10R indeed? If no and its higher by mistake restore to 10R. If yes its 10R, weird CCS result if so, try 1R (1mV=1mA TP). Also check if R4 trimmer & R3 resistor are good.

All CCS measured good: resistors, trimmer, semis & diodes.

Changed 10R for 1R and now can reach 30mA but max Vout is 107V wiuth 4K7 dummy load.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Salas I think the SSHV2 is fine, attached simulation PSUD II of my PSU.

Attachments

• 26 PSU.png
    26 PSU.png
    66.7 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Make the CCS only on a breadboard and test Mosfets in LV that give normal SSHV2 larger adj range i.e. up to 100mA plus together. Move them to your board. If they don't repeat that on the board then the board or another component have a problem.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Not, the problem is AZ1 hybrid graetz with two UF4007, as you know AZ1 needs the first cap max rated 60uF and not 200uF, also I don't have clear if AZ1 needs more voltage on the anodes because data sheet tell 2 x 300VAC to have 100mA and increasing voltage decrease intensity and I'm using 125V transformer so possible AZ1 is giving 125 or 150mA or more.

Attachments

• AZ1.pdf
    83.4 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
I've changed a Solen 10uF output capacitor on the SSHV2 with a ClarityCap CMR and the results are absolutely amazing. Forget bypassing (trust me I've tried everything including silver foils and teflons). ClarityCap CMR is THE capacitor to rule them all. However they are big so place has to be made either above or under the circuit board.