Simplistic MosFET HV Shunt Regs

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
"C106 10.0uf/630V Solen polypropylene film capacitor"
"C107 .1uf/630V Solen polypropylene film capacitor"

Adequate values of film capacitors for ironing out the capacitance multiplier's output and holding some energy. Use only the decoupler locally across the SSHV2 input.

It seems the addition of PS3 is just a waste of parts, time and efforts. You should ask yourself what you need the PS3 for? It will radiate more heat, need more voltage and do almost the same as a simple capacitor in result. Big capacitor, I agree, but for SSHV you don't need such big-valued capacitor.

Hi Salas!!
Thanks for the advice! I have questions for you about capacitor choice for the PS3.

Refer to the circuit diagram, both C100 and C101 is putting in series, can I have one single 50uf 1200v capacitor for the position? ASC Blue Line has made 50uf 1200v capacitor.

http://www.partsconnexion.com/prod_pdf/asc50-10.pdf

Also, the C106 required capacitor with 630v, what about 500v, is that adequate??

Many thanks!

It seems the addition of PS3 is just a waste of parts, time and efforts. You should ask yourself what you need the PS3 for? It will radiate more heat, need more voltage and do almost the same as a simple capacitor in result. Big capacitor, I agree, but for SSHV you don't need such big-valued capacitor.

So I don't need a big reservoir before the SSHV2, and I can use less cap but good quality as well as few resistors to form one the PS3 which is acting like a very large reservoir, my friend said that the PS3 behaves very similar to capacitor bank with 1-5mf!

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Salas!!
Thanks for the advice! I have questions for you about capacitor choice for the PS3.

Refer to the circuit diagram, both C100 and C101 is putting in series, can I have one single 50uf 1200v capacitor for the position? ASC Blue Line has made 50uf 1200v capacitor.

http://www.partsconnexion.com/prod_pdf/asc50-10.pdf

Also, the C106 required capacitor with 630v, what about 500v, is that adequate??

Many thanks!

Those values in the list are making a 500V B+ circuit. What is the B+ you are after?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
It is possible when those z1-z4 zeners shown in series are setting for a PS3 output lower than 500V. To use that circuit as pre-filter correctly for the SSHV2 you have to choose Zeners for 20V higher than the SSHV2 output to be. Thus 400V is the max you could set the PS3 since the SSHV2 has a 380V max output recommendation.

So I don't need a big reservoir before the SSHV2, and I can use less cap but good quality as well as few resistors to form one the PS3 which is acting like a very large reservoir, my friend said that the PS3 behaves very similar to capacitor bank with 1-5mf!
Sorry, can't catch the meaning. :(
PS3 has its limitations and its stability can be compromised if you just choose values without any considerations. The circuit before SSHV2 should help to achieve something, but not sit there "just for fun". Till now I haven't heard any reason why we need something like PS3 before the SSHV.

Salas,
Actually I only need 160v B+ regulated voltage from SSHV2. Therefore, I guess 200v from PS3 to feed the SSHV2 should be more than enough. So 10uf 500v cap for C106 should be enough I guess. What do you think?

Can I use 500v capacitor to replace the position that has C100 and C101 in series?

Thanks!

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Salas,
Actually I only need 160v B+ regulated voltage from SSHV2. Therefore, I guess 200v from PS3 to feed the SSHV2 should be more than enough. So 10uf 500v cap for C106 should be enough I guess. What do you think?

Can I use 500v capacitor to replace the position that has C100 and C101 in series?

Thanks!

What's the secondary of your mains power transformer?

230 x 1,41 = 324,3 VDC
and you should also take into account the variation in mains supply voltage and the transformer regulation.

Maximum transformer output voltage = Mains supply voltage divided by rated primary voltage times rated secondary voltage times transformer regulation.
A 230:230Vac 8% regulation transformer used in an EU country will have a maximum output of 253/230*230*1.08 = 273,2Vac
After rectifying and smoothing that converts to ~385Vdc

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I think this is around 230vac 200ma.

230vac 200ma => Cree Schottky => PS3 => 200vdc => SSHV2 => 160vdc

What do you think?

You go for 200V PS3 out. Alright logical. That Tx will lead to a large rectified voltage figure on PS3 input as the guys above demonstrated though. So a large drop across Q1 on PS3. That means enough W of Q1 heat and a large heatsink. Isn't there a lower voltage transformer to use ending up in say 250V DC rectified max?