Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th December 2011, 07:18 AM   #2111
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Use what your load gets +20mA headroom. By your example, you can make double mono with 0.4V reading on TP or single with 0.6V reading on TP. Use dummy that gets as many mA as your load gets at nominal B+. If you got 20mA real load at 200V for instance, use 10K 10W test resistor load. Set R4 first.
Old 10th December 2011, 07:47 AM   #2112
diyAudio Member

Thankyou.....thankyou...
Old 10th December 2011, 08:51 AM   #2113
diyAudio Member

What would be a good sounding power supply for the SSHV2 in my tube line amp?? Does SSHV2 mind a choke input PSU?? or does it prefer others type...
Old 10th December 2011, 09:30 AM   #2114
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Whatever you will prefer in the total sound mix. It has no certain spec. Just needs a low ripple DC input 20V higher than the output you will set. LC, CLC, CRC were used with the previous version by many, most people seemed to prefer L instead of R in the pre-filter.
Old 10th December 2011, 11:05 AM   #2115
diyAudio Member

One more question before I get all the parts next week.....the Voltage in.....and out...mentioned; are they loaded or unloaded voltages??
Old 10th December 2011, 11:12 AM   #2116
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Loaded.
Old 10th December 2011, 11:12 AM   #2117
vgeorge is offline vgeorge  Greece
diyAudio Member

Loaded.
Old 10th December 2011, 11:24 AM   #2118
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Talking about sync. LOL.
Old 10th December 2011, 12:06 PM   #2119
diyAudio Member

8:12pm vs 8:12pm.....no time smear at all....perfect....message taken...what a great forum...
Old 10th December 2011, 12:57 PM   #2120
regal is offline regal  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
Whatever you will prefer in the total sound mix. It has no certain spec. Just needs a low ripple DC input 20V higher than the output you will set. LC, CLC, CRC were used with the previous version by many, most people seemed to prefer L instead of R in the pre-filter.
Can you define the low ripple roughly, as in the prototyping what were the incoming incoming ripple roughly (per sim like psud) ? I think I remember we discovered that SSHV1 did better with more pre-filtering than initially thought.

As far as the earlier post regarding using this reg with a CCS, I remember reading one of Olsen's presentations where there was a benefit to using a shunt reg before a CCS as far as isolating the music signal from the power supply. But remember you will lose 20V's headroom just inserting the reg, which may in many preamp designs be too much to allow the CCS to do its job. But most likely the 20V's can be gained back via loosening up the pre-filter in an existing design. But we probably need to nail down the max incoming ripple a bit (I imagine is depends on the load and shunt current.)

You mentioned some prefering CLC to CRC. One last question, does the output impedance of the prefiter matter at all?

Hide this!Advertise here!