Simplistic Mosfet HV Shunt Regs - Page 196 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2011, 12:14 PM   #1951
Stixx is offline Stixx  Germany
I am
diyAudio Member
 
Stixx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Southern Germany
Follow up on the SSHV I built for the C3G-SE amp...

It fired up with no problems (into dummy load at first, then into the circuit).
Rset is 33R, about 2.1V across it so around 64mA CCS, 30ish mA into the load.
Rset is socketed so will probably change to 39R to cut down on dissipation.

Directupload.net - Dacfesgtg.jpg

Sound is gorgeous... very open, dynamic and extremely detailed. I also have no
signs of harshness anymore... Rzobel is a 5R6 with spendy MKP caps, but it seems
to pay. Maybe the harshness was the standard Polyprop caps that I used before...
Dissipation into the cooler seems to be okay running the numbers and both Mosfets
connected to one cooler. Might have to connect it to the bottom plate once it goes
in the chassis... (see preview )

So was it an improvement...? Yes sir!

Otoons - Political Jokes :: Bush & Condoeeza



.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg small.jpg (63.5 KB, 310 views)
File Type: jpg acfesgtgs.jpg (175.5 KB, 276 views)

Last edited by Stixx; 31st August 2011 at 12:17 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2011, 12:27 PM   #1952
regal is offline regal  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: MD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stixx View Post
Follow up on the SSHV I built for the C3G-SE amp...

It fired up with no problems (into dummy load at first, then into the circuit).
Rset is 33R, about 2.1V across it so around 64mA CCS, 30ish mA into the load.
Rset is socketed so will probably change to 39R to cut down on dissipation.

Directupload.net - Dacfesgtg.jpg

Sound is gorgeous... very open, dynamic and extremely detailed. I also have no
signs of harshness anymore... Rzobel is a 5R6 with spendy MKP caps, but it seems
to pay. Maybe the harshness was the standard Polyprop caps that I used before...
Dissipation into the cooler seems to be okay running the numbers and both Mosfets
connected to one cooler. Might have to connect it to the bottom plate once it goes
in the chassis... (see preview )

So was it an improvement...? Yes sir!

Otoons - Political Jokes :: Bush & Condoeeza



.

Looks like a headamp? Have a similiar SSHV spud WE417 SE OPT (wonderful sound , a few minor bugs I'm working on), what OPT's are you using?

Last night I found that moving my OPT's 3 ft away from the power supply transformers dropped a bump at 60hz from -80db to -100dB

As far as Rzobel caps I also found a huge improvement upgrading these, went with K75's bypassed with the russian teflons (good bang for the buck.) I believe it is really the only cap in the signal path. If you look at pimms website, he shows a shunt supplied ccsload-parafeed here the only cap would be the parafeed cap.

Last edited by regal; 31st August 2011 at 12:32 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2011, 12:36 PM   #1953
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Vietnam
Blog Entries: 2
Send a message via Yahoo to quanghao Send a message via Skype™ to quanghao
[QUOTE=Stixx;2692424]Follow up on the SSHV I built for the C3G-SE amp...

sounds great if you use 3 MKP 47uF capacitor before Salas HV shunt!

maximum just 150uF capacitor, without using additional parts CRC (UF-220R 220-220uF)
__________________
Group buy DAC-END R (ES9018) full assembled board
update 06/14/2013 :http://www.audiodesignguide.com/DAC32/index2.html
  Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2011, 12:38 PM   #1954
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Vietnam
Blog Entries: 2
Send a message via Yahoo to quanghao Send a message via Skype™ to quanghao
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarn View Post
Diode rectifier DHG10I1200PM.
http://docs-asia.electrocomponents.c...6b80af586e.pdf

For 250 volt bridge rectifier for tube pre-amp. power supply, anyone has ever tried it? is it good?
great and easy! SSHV a high-voltage power supply to upgrade Pre peak!
__________________
Group buy DAC-END R (ES9018) full assembled board
update 06/14/2013 :http://www.audiodesignguide.com/DAC32/index2.html
  Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2011, 12:39 PM   #1955
iko is online now iko  Canada
diyAudio Moderator
 
iko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Toronto
Could anyone please point me to the latest schematic?
  Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2011, 01:56 PM   #1956
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Vietnam
Blog Entries: 2
Send a message via Yahoo to quanghao Send a message via Skype™ to quanghao
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoflexer View Post
Could anyone please point me to the latest schematic?
I like this!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cricuit-SSHV-2011.jpg (127.9 KB, 300 views)
__________________
Group buy DAC-END R (ES9018) full assembled board
update 06/14/2013 :http://www.audiodesignguide.com/DAC32/index2.html

Last edited by quanghao; 31st August 2011 at 01:59 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2011, 04:40 PM   #1957
diyAudio Member
 
dvb projekt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Willich, Germany
Blog Entries: 39
Send a message via Skype™ to dvb projekt
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
As far as Rzobel caps I also found a huge improvement upgrading these, went with K75's bypassed with the russian teflons (good bang for the buck.) I believe it is really the only cap in the signal path.
Witch of the two you have changed to the K75.
__________________
Reference TDA1541A DAC project PCBs / Tube-I-zator PCB / SSHV-Shunt PCB
Stock status in my Blog
  Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2011, 04:41 PM   #1958
Stixx is offline Stixx  Germany
I am
diyAudio Member
 
Stixx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Southern Germany
Quote:
Looks like a headamp? Have a similiar SSHV spud WE417 SE OPT (wonderful sound , a few minor bugs I'm working on), what OPT's are you using?

Last night I found that moving my OPT's 3 ft away from the power supply transformers dropped a bump at 60hz from -80db to -100dB

As far as Rzobel caps I also found a huge improvement upgrading these, went with K75's bypassed with the russian teflons (good bang for the buck.) I believe it is really the only cap in the signal path. If you look at pimms website, he shows a shunt supplied ccsload-parafeed here the only cap would be the parafeed cap.
regal,

yes, it's a headamp. Seems as if I am only building headamps...(this one being Nr.7 )
OPT's are custom made from Reinhoefer (quite a well known winder around here) and are 7.5k : 300 ohm. They have taps for other combinations as well.
My amp (although still on the breadboard) is dead quiet despite the proximity of the OPT's to the psu... I am happy about that 'cause 3 ft makes for a large headamp.

Guess you are right on the caps but it plain looks better to have both caps the same kind... when I have some room left under my chassis I will try the russian teflons
though listening most of the day the tonal balance now leaves nothing to be desired.
Unless that urge to try someting starts itching again...
  Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2011, 04:44 PM   #1959
Stixx is offline Stixx  Germany
I am
diyAudio Member
 
Stixx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Southern Germany
Quote:
Which of the two you have changed to the K75.
Oliver, there is only one Zobel cap...

PS. Do you recognize your board?
  Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2011, 04:49 PM   #1960
Stixx is offline Stixx  Germany
I am
diyAudio Member
 
Stixx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Southern Germany
Quote:
Could anyone please point me to the latest schematic?
The board I was using apparently was based on this schematic...

But to be sure we have to wait for the answer of Mr. N. Shuntregamouras...
Attached Images
File Type: gif SSHV-salas.gif (7.3 KB, 265 views)
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Regs - Shunt vs Series richie00boy Solid State 42 14th March 2013 06:45 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:55 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2