Simplistic Mosfet HV Shunt Regs - Page 173 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2011, 12:51 PM   #1721
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
One more question. I am powering up the aikido preamp stage everything at once, the heaters and B+ at the same time. So the regulator feeds cold tubes for few seconds. Is this potentially dangerous to regulator in some way? I guess not, because I have this configuration running for almost half a year, but I am asking just to be sure.

Thank you.
  Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2011, 03:00 PM   #1722
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator
 
Salas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Athens-Greece
To the reg no, maybe it stresses your cathodes on the other hand. I had it with tube rectifier too, works nicely and comes up gradually.
  Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2011, 05:08 PM   #1723
Bengali is offline Bengali  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Hi Salas,

I've built your HV shunt with QH boards. sounds great.

in simple terms, what is the difference between your circuit

and this one, PS2 Solo?

Victory & Asymmetrical Amplifiers

this is for learning reasons, not to compare.

thanks
  Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2011, 05:53 PM   #1724
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator
 
Salas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Athens-Greece
That one is a reworked Maida series reg. Apples & oranges.
  Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2011, 11:59 PM   #1725
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Vietnam
Blog Entries: 2
Send a message via Yahoo to quanghao Send a message via Skype™ to quanghao
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacernator View Post
One more question. I am powering up the aikido preamp stage everything at once, the heaters and B+ at the same time. So the regulator feeds cold tubes for few seconds. Is this potentially dangerous to regulator in some way? I guess not, because I have this configuration running for almost half a year, but I am asking just to be sure.

Thank you.
no problem, if not have mane mA, you need for Pre!

does not matter if your Heatsinks is big enough for 840.
__________________
Group buy DAC-END R (ES9018) full assembled board
update 06/14/2013 :http://www.audiodesignguide.com/DAC32/index2.html
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2011, 07:29 AM   #1726
diyAudio Member
 
taniknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Mornington Peninsula, Victoria.
I'm collecting parts for a 300v SSHV as shown in post #967. The test suggests replacing Q2 MJE350 with a higher voltage part, namely the 400V MPSA94. This part is not available to me from my normal suppliers. Are there other suitable components for Q2 that I could try to source?

Thanks.
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2011, 07:45 AM   #1727
j45yip is offline j45yip  Singapore
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Singapore
my SSHV is working at 315vdc and mje350 at 295vdc for 6 months or so with no issues so far. i say give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taniknight View Post
I'm collecting parts for a 300v SSHV as shown in post #967. The test suggests replacing Q2 MJE350 with a higher voltage part, namely the 400V MPSA94. This part is not available to me from my normal suppliers. Are there other suitable components for Q2 that I could try to source?

Thanks.
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2011, 09:45 AM   #1728
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Athens
I just powered the new regs and I see smoke coming from the current adj resistors. The resistors can handle 3 W. Any ideas what's wrong?
Attached Images
File Type: gif SSHVOPT[1].gif (8.2 KB, 330 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2011, 09:55 AM   #1729
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Athens
Quote:
Originally Posted by manamanam View Post
I just powered the new regs and I see smoke coming from the current adj resistors. The resistors can handle 3 W. Any ideas what's wrong?
Found the problem. The voltage adj trimmer was set for too low Vout.
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2011, 10:59 AM   #1730
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Athens
On duty..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1587-2.jpg (259.6 KB, 329 views)
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Regs - Shunt vs Series richie00boy Solid State 42 14th March 2013 07:45 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 04:24 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2