Simplistic MosFET HV Shunt Regs

You are probably right, but usually PSUD2 is quite spot-on:

I am using a transformer from a reputable source in Germany, multiple members have used it before without problems.

The chokes are specified by the same source as 330Ohm. I have modeled this correctly in PSUD2.

I did some further calculation, and think I could live with 170V input voltage (then I could have 150V output voltage which would work in my application). However I still don't understand this extreme sagging...

Theoretically, if I would have been satisfied with a -say- 10mA@100V supply. I would be looking for 30mA CCS and 100V output voltage. Even that is not achievable now.... I can't get my CCS above 13mA...

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
You got to debug then. Maybe your CCS is in oscillation in your layout version, maybe some semi is out. Use the scope in main nodes, look for Vgs, Vbe, to be healthy etc. Give the reg a feed from first cap of raw supply to see if something changes.

Thermal Vout drift

Hi,

I have running SSHV1, cascoded version. Between cold startup and warmed up run, I have 30V of difference. I am using 2SK170GR. Can I do something to make the output voltage not to drift with temperature?

Thanks.

Attachments

• SSHV Regulator.png
    SSHV Regulator.png
    10.1 KB · Views: 416
Hi Salas, I fixed my earlier problem. Turned out I had wired the tube rectifier wrongly.
I have the dual mono shunt regs up and running now. A quick listen gave good results, and scope measurement gave a complete flat line, so virtually noise free.

I did notice that the red LED on one of the regs is much brighter than on the other one. CCS and voltage settings are exactly the same (300mA @ 170V), and I have used the components from tea-bag's component GB (I assume they are the same make leds).

As I said, both measure and sound very good. Do you see any problems I am unaware of?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Maybe 30mA at 170V? The Led is in series with the voltage reference's CCS in SSHV2. For same reference resistors you must be running the same JFET Var CCS current by Ohm's law in the twin SSHV2 regs to have the same output voltage. Odds are you got different Vref resistors by mistake, one different brightness LED, local oscillation that dims the one. But you got a clean rail you say. What is it for? Have you got more pics?

SSHV1 behavior

Hi,

I am having a bit of a strange behavior with the original SSHV design. I configured the circuit so that it would output 300vdc, ~12ma with 350vdc, 45ma input. The regulation seems to work fine, except when connecting and disconnecting a multi-meter to either the raw DC supply or to measure the output. What happens, is that the voltage sharply drops from 300v down to about 150v, until the trimmer is adjusted. I can bring the correct voltage back by turning the trimmer one way, and the voltage jumps back up around 200v. Then I can adjust it back to 300v. If I connect or disconnect a meter, either on the raw or output of the regulated supply, it will again jump back down in voltage. I have two multi-meters, and observe the same behavior when connecting either of these meters to the raw or output voltages. I even have two of these SSHV1 boards, and both of them behave the same way. I'll attach the schematic and board layout.

Regards,
-MW

Attachments

• sshv1.png
    sshv1.png
    52.3 KB · Views: 373
  • sshv-layout.png
    sshv-layout.png
    37.8 KB · Views: 366