Simplistic MosFET HV Shunt Regs

Joined 2009
Paid Member
No, only the 3 i have here. In the meantime i have listen to some tracks like:

Santana - Milagro
Kenny Loggins - Outside: From the Redwoods (live)
Oscar Peterson Trio - We get requests
Peter Gabriel - So (Remastered)
Sara K. - Water Falls
Simple Minds - Street Fighting Years

I really don´t know what happened... Whatever i play,

I never ever heard my rig sound that good !

Not with the Discrete Diamond Non-Feetback I/V stage from Pedja Rogic nor with -ecdesigns- MK7 I/V stage.

I only change that damn tube rectifier for the HV of the Tube-I-zator. I am absolute speachless.

Unbeleavable :bawling:

Yes it still has big influence, whysoever. I much prefer tube rectification over SS, and from the tube rectifiers the best I tried was the venerable old AZ1, as I don't need more than 80ma current. But the AZ1 has 4V filament supply, which can be a problem with existing transformers. And it has funny sockets, too.
The RCA 5AR4GY Salas mentioned is the best from the bigger rectifiers to my ears.
And film caps in the power supply do noticable better than electrolytics, and the quality of the choke, if used, is clearly audible. All this with the shunt...
Its fun to try all these different choices..

cheers,

Juergen

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Yes it still has big influence, whysoever. I much prefer tube rectification over SS, and from the tube rectifiers the best I tried was the venerable old AZ1, as I don't need more than 80ma current. But the AZ1 has 4V filament supply, which can be a problem with existing transformers. And it has funny sockets, too.
The RCA 5AR4GY Salas mentioned is the best from the bigger rectifiers to my ears.
And film caps in the power supply do noticable better than electrolytics, and the quality of the choke, if used, is clearly audible. All this with the shunt...
Its fun to try all these different choices..

cheers,

Juergen

A choke input WE274B is nice also.:sing:

Each tube rectifier changes the impedance before the CCS loop, they are much different between them than modern diode bridges. Before passive filter PSUs they are much more influential even.

I understand, but my prefilter CLCRC has a huge R value simply because I needed to a lot of drop voltage to use the transformers I had on hand, obviously this made the prefilter "output impedance" quite large and I thought you said earlier this wouldn't hurt as the SSHV ultimately gives a the very low output impedance regardless of its feed. That is why I am surprised that the rectifier is influencing the sound.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Do you mean in concert with the SSHV? I am surprised the rectifier tube choice has much influence?

As you perhaps see in my blog, i use only Mundorf film caps in my psu.

3,9uF Supreme silver/oil - 10H amorph choke - 47uF TubeCap - 100R - 100uF TubeCap

Perhaps that part choice is is able to show the sound differences between the tube rectifier better than electrolytics.

One thing is clear, that 5UC3 Black Plate stays :D

This rectifier was the biggest SQ step i've ever made !

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I understand, but my prefilter CLCRC has a huge R value simply because I needed to a lot of drop voltage to use the transformers I had on hand, obviously this made the prefilter "output impedance" quite large and I thought you said earlier this wouldn't hurt as the SSHV ultimately gives a the very low output impedance regardless of its feed. That is why I am surprised that the rectifier is influencing the sound.

It does not have to do with the impedance of the output loop, and won't hurt that aspect. Each rectifier type along with the filtering scheme chosen will deliver the current asked by the CCS in different efficiency and high order byproducts. They had been much less obvious than in fully passive, still they could be picked in my initial tests. More so if with Maida series reg. Soft recovery diode bridges were less differentiating subjectively by type, and had better bass. The tube rectifiers could be more pleasant, maybe less honest though.

Maybe you could try to get your voltage down by lowering the first filter cap to something around or below 1µF. This drops the voltage significantly, and gets more of a choke input characteristic. And simultaniously to put in a second choke after the second cap instead of the big resistor; perhaps you can lower the value of the caps then and use good PIO or film caps instead. The "last" cap of the supply is the most important sonically.
This should give a significant improvement in dynamics and "flow", as you don't burn energy in the resistor anymore and the whole supply becomes faster.
I always use cheap inductors from old radios for testing, they can be quite goo as they knew how to wind these properly back in the 40ies/50ies.

And for the WE274A: Sadly I am not a German dentist :bawling:

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
One thing is clear, that 5UC3 Black Plate stays :D

This rectifier was the biggest SQ step i've ever made !

It looks like the bigger plates you use the better it goes for you subjectively. There is much difference between 5Y3WGT and 5U4GB in current spec. Tubes were not made with CCS draw in mind, they will behave and get old in a different manner than usual.

Maybe you could try to get your voltage down by lowering the first filter cap to something around or below 1µF. This drops the voltage significantly, and gets more of a choke input characteristic. And simultaniously to put in a second choke after the second cap instead of the big resistor; perhaps you can lower the value of the caps then and use good PIO or film caps instead. The "last" cap of the supply is the most important sonically.
This should give a significant improvement in dynamics and "flow", as you don't burn energy in the resistor anymore and the whole supply becomes faster.
I always use cheap inductors from old radios for testing, they can be quite goo as they knew how to wind these properly back in the 40ies/50ies.

And for the WE274A: Sadly I am not a German dentist :bawling:

For the last cap (zobel) I did swap to the russian K75 bypased with the russian teflon, big improvement.

Haven't given the prefilter much thought, butI do still measure a bump at 120hz (also 60, 180 and 300), all under -100db. I assumed grounding causing this, but maybe your suggestions would improve this. Thanks

Any body had tried the very first version and the latest version yet? How is the comparison?
My version is the very first one, but I found myself seems to be lazy to dismantle it for the latest one.......

When you mean the different versions of the SSHV reg I pretty much answered that in post 1951. Although
the improvement to my ears is more due to the better parts quality, esp. the caps as discussed in this thread before.
I did not compare both versions with the exact same parts so its hard to say.
When I was you I would play with the Vref cap and the Zobel cap... a very worthwhile field for experiments.