Toroid inrush current in case of short blackout - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd December 2008, 02:12 AM   #1
kl is offline kl  Europe
diyAudio Member

Default Toroid inrush current in case of short blackout

Hello,

What happens with inrush current in case of SHORT blackout for one cycle (20 or 16.6ms - 50/60Hz), few cycles, one second or more?
How big is the current compared to power-on inrush current?
For example: 600VA/230V toroidal transformer.
Old 6th December 2008, 06:38 AM   #2
kl is offline kl  Europe
diyAudio Member

I found some info at noinrush.com. It seems that conventional soft start circuits and NTC are useless in case of voltage dips . I will try to redesign my softstart.
Attached Images
File Type: gif voltage-dips.gif (9.3 KB, 367 views)
Old 6th December 2008, 11:15 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I tried to address this problem with a circuit that has a timing capacitor that can discharge much faster than it charges. But the chart shows how dire the situation appears to be.
Old 6th December 2008, 11:55 AM   #4
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi,
a delayed on and instant off for the bypass relay is OK for a few seconds of no power.
For a few hundred mS of loss you would need a fast acting instant off and a fast acting relay to get the resistor and/or NTC back into circuit in time.
For a one cycle loss, one would need a missing pulse detector and a very fast bypass, probably not a relay, maybe a FET bypass.

But, I had not realised the significance of a missing part cycle.
Would some kind of phase comparator be able to release in time for the re-establishing of power?
Old 6th December 2008, 12:51 PM   #5
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

kl, Is this a hypothetical question or do you have a problem with poor mains. I used a 600va toroid for years, but found I needed at least a 6.3 AT fuse. Even then it "parted" once on switch on.
It is possible as Andrew say's to have a missing pulse detector, but is it worth it all ? Providing the secondaries are suitably protected any risks are minimal with a large primary fuse, indeed the toroid manufacturer possibly has info on recommended input protection. Relays are OK but the contacts need to be suitably rated to prevent arcing.
What seems a simple problem can either be " a non problem " or if you are determined to do something about it can become a fairly major design exercise.
Old 7th December 2008, 05:50 AM   #6
kl is offline kl  Europe
diyAudio Member

Thanks for replies!

I have good mains, but ... just trying to design best soft start. I will continue to build my current triac-based soft start project.
Old 7th December 2008, 06:50 AM   #7
diyAudio Moderator

A PTC thermistor and relay to short it out gives the ideal result. Burst control using triacs can generate RF noise and "irregularities" at the zero crossing. It's a no win situation really. The thermistor and relay offer no delay in the event of a mains drop out, but does that matter, the caps in the amp wil be charged so the toroid isn't seeing a low impedance.
Old 7th December 2008, 10:44 AM   #8
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

it's not the smoothing cap load that is the problem.
That is solved differently.
It's the loss of flux in the transformer on power failure that we are trying to solve. A relay cannot drop out instantly. The best are of the order of 2mS and big relays that can handle input currents are very possibly >10mS to drop out.
This drop out time gets much worse the more effectively we snub (with a diode) the back EMF of the coil.

If the problem is as bad as that posted graph shows, then a relay can never solve that quarter cycle current surge. A whole cycle loss of power may even be too short to detect and for the relay to open in the 20mS available to detect and drop out.
Old 7th December 2008, 10:56 AM   #9
diyAudio Moderator

No easy answer is there ? To be honest I think it's a non problem really. I mentioned the reservoir caps because from fully discharged it must increase the primary current over many cycles I would imagine. If the secondary circuit wiring is low impedance it may well " overload " the transformer briefly, although I have never done any measurements.
Relays will never work for drop outs of a cycle or two.
Anyone any data from the toroid manufacturers on what they recommend ?
Old 7th December 2008, 11:49 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

But is that short time loss really a problem?

If it were to happen then transformers and motors *everywhere* will saturate flattening the mains waveform and your fuses should survive.

Hide this!Advertise here!