need help to build Electricity power saver - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th November 2008, 01:01 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default need help to build Electricity power saver

Hi all,

This is a different project I want to build. Please I need your help.

I want to build a power saver means saving my electricity Bill. I want to make those are using only a capacitor in parallel and plug on direct electricity Ac line. Anyone have any idea? I saw somewhere that only need Ac capacitor. But I don’t know how the connection will and the value of the Ac cap.

My power line is 240V Ac.
Old 26th November 2008, 01:32 PM   #2
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

This is suited only for special applications. What is yours? I have a working solution but the application is rather special. The main reason is to reduce cost and size. You won't be able to save any energy, not worth mentioning anyway.
Old 26th November 2008, 11:23 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

hi,

thanks. i just want to make my electricity bill to save. i saw add those power saver can save 20 to 30%. its ok for me. i learned that just need cap and its save spcly for motor running , heater, aircon, refregaretor act.

my House electricity consumtion:
Washing meshine (500w), water heater (3000w, iron (600w), toaster (600w), aircon (1500w), oven (1000w), refrigarator (180w, TV (200w), light all together is ( 600w), rice cooker (600w), water cattle (600w), water warmer (260w), two computer (450 * 2= 900w), hify (500w), still have some more but have to think they are not high watts.

this is my house consumpton. now electricity bills are getting very high so was thinking how can i save some bills legally also good for env. i saw that device power saver.

Old 27th November 2008, 12:21 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

what you are looking for is a power factor corrector.

it electronically adjusts the reactance of the opposite sine back to the circuit drawing power., in essence pulling the current and voltage back into phase.

i have not seen many of these in quite a few years, i remember that NASA had commissioned one that was produced by a company that marketed them, but....

i am searching now

start here

http://www.techbriefs.com/component/content/article/712

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_2/chpt_13/9.html

look for things like nasa power factor controller correction corrector and "frank nola" he was the one involved..
Old 27th November 2008, 06:37 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

hi,

pls check this few web..

http://www.electro-tech-online.com/g...r-circuit.html

http://www.boondee.net/

http://www.made-in-china.com/china-p...wer-Saver.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OKdKmwgnA4

capacitor based power conditioner.
Old 27th November 2008, 10:06 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

most your household thingies look resistive and a power factor correctioner doesn't help with them.
Dunno about there, but here the electricity counters measure only real power, so the power factor angle doesn't matter at all for the electricity bill.
regards
Old 27th November 2008, 01:43 PM   #7
gmarsh is offline gmarsh  Canada
diyAudio Member

^- what he said.

If you buy VA's from the power company, performing power factor correction in your house can lower your power bill. But if you buy watts from the power company (which 99% of people do), you can't save anything.

If you buy VAs, buy/borrow/rent a power quality analyzer and measure the VAR consumed by each of your devices - I'd single out the A/C, washing machine, refrigerator... basically anything with a motor in it. Based on the inductive VAR, pick a compensation capacitor value which will give the equivalent amount of capacitor VAR and install it across the motor of each device.

Mind you, taking apart household appliances and installing capacitors in them probably violates a lot of electrical codes in your country, so you probably really shouldn't do this. Besides, I seriously doubt you buy VA's from the power company.
Old 27th November 2008, 11:25 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

hi,

Thanks. we have a meter that was installed by the Gov power supply. i can see monthly bills comes on Watts used. last months my usage was 221 Kwh. i don't know my watts can be save by this capacitors.
Old 28th November 2008, 12:10 AM   #9
wwenze is offline wwenze  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Yea... Singapore charges by watt... managed to confirm this some time back, looking at how our power meter works.
Old 30th November 2008, 07:01 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default power factor correction

From what I understand, all watthour meters work by integrating the voltage and current flow over time, so it makes no difference to your bill at all whether the current is leading or lagging the voltage, or right in sync. (Mind you, the current still gets to you, it's just a little behind the voltage.) The power company hates it, because it wastes transmission capacity, which is why large reactive loads (motors) have 'run' capacitors already installed, which helps to counteract the inductance of the motor. Adding caps to your service all the time will not combat global warming, as some website's products suggest, because there's no practical way to switch it in and out as different loads are switched. In other words, different loads are pulling the power factor inductive, capacitive or resistive, depending on what they are.
If you want to save electricity, switch to CFL bulbs, turn down your fridge and air conditioner (higher temperature), insulate your house better, turn off unused lights, go to bed earlier at night and get up earlier in the morning so you're up more during daylight hours. There is no magic bullet here, just common sense conservation.

Hide this!Advertise here!