need help to build Electricity power saver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

This is a different project I want to build. Please I need your help.

I want to build a power saver means saving my electricity Bill. I want to make those are using only a capacitor in parallel and plug on direct electricity Ac line. Anyone have any idea? I saw somewhere that only need Ac capacitor. But I don’t know how the connection will and the value of the Ac cap.

My power line is 240V Ac.

hi,

thanks. i just want to make my electricity bill to save. i saw add those power saver can save 20 to 30%. its ok for me. i learned that just need cap and its save spcly for motor running , heater, aircon, refregaretor act.

my House electricity consumtion:
Washing meshine (500w), water heater (3000w, iron (600w), toaster (600w), aircon (1500w), oven (1000w), refrigarator (180w, TV (200w), light all together is ( 600w), rice cooker (600w), water cattle (600w), water warmer (260w), two computer (450 * 2= 900w), hify (500w), still have some more but have to think they are not high watts.

this is my house consumpton. now electricity bills are getting very high so was thinking how can i save some bills legally also good for env. i saw that device power saver.

what you are looking for is a power factor corrector.

it electronically adjusts the reactance of the opposite sine back to the circuit drawing power., in essence pulling the current and voltage back into phase.

i have not seen many of these in quite a few years, i remember that NASA had commissioned one that was produced by a company that marketed them, but....

i am searching now

start here

http://www.techbriefs.com/component/content/article/712

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_2/chpt_13/9.html

look for things like nasa power factor controller correction corrector and "frank nola" he was the one involved..

^- what he said.

If you buy VA's from the power company, performing power factor correction in your house can lower your power bill. But if you buy watts from the power company (which 99% of people do), you can't save anything.

If you buy VAs, buy/borrow/rent a power quality analyzer and measure the VAR consumed by each of your devices - I'd single out the A/C, washing machine, refrigerator... basically anything with a motor in it. Based on the inductive VAR, pick a compensation capacitor value which will give the equivalent amount of capacitor VAR and install it across the motor of each device.

Mind you, taking apart household appliances and installing capacitors in them probably violates a lot of electrical codes in your country, so you probably really shouldn't do this. Besides, I seriously doubt you buy VA's from the power company.

power factor correction

From what I understand, all watthour meters work by integrating the voltage and current flow over time, so it makes no difference to your bill at all whether the current is leading or lagging the voltage, or right in sync. (Mind you, the current still gets to you, it's just a little behind the voltage.) The power company hates it, because it wastes transmission capacity, which is why large reactive loads (motors) have 'run' capacitors already installed, which helps to counteract the inductance of the motor. Adding caps to your service all the time will not combat global warming, as some website's products suggest, because there's no practical way to switch it in and out as different loads are switched. In other words, different loads are pulling the power factor inductive, capacitive or resistive, depending on what they are.
If you want to save electricity, switch to CFL bulbs, turn down your fridge and air conditioner (higher temperature), insulate your house better, turn off unused lights, go to bed earlier at night and get up earlier in the morning so you're up more during daylight hours. There is no magic bullet here, just common sense conservation.

space2000 said:
hi,

thanks. i just want to make my electricity bill to save. i saw add those power saver can save 20 to 30%. its ok for me. i learned that just need cap and its save spcly for motor running , heater, aircon, refregaretor act.

my House electricity consumtion:
Washing meshine (500w), water heater (3000w, iron (600w), toaster (600w), aircon (1500w), oven (1000w), refrigarator (180w, TV (200w), light all together is ( 600w), rice cooker (600w), water cattle (600w), water warmer (260w), two computer (450 * 2= 900w), hify (500w), still have some more but have to think they are not high watts.

this is my house consumpton. now electricity bills are getting very high so was thinking how can i save some bills legally also good for env. i saw that device power saver.

Some of the power consumption seems to be not correct.

I relate to Sweden here.

Washing machine: 3000-6000 W during warming water. Motor 200-300 W (I don't know)
Computer 450 Watts, not here in Sweden. A 24" iMac = 280 W
Hifi: Do you really play at 500 W input level?

The thing is how often you use your stuff.

The electric meters here in Sweden measures active energy meaning a power factor corrector won't do much good when it comes to the electrical bill.

thanks. my washing machine don't have heater so i think watts can't be so high.

computer power supply state that it is 450W...

hifi...yes,cause mine is amp + Eq + Dvd. amp already taking about arround 400w i guess and others i counted another 100w but i don't listen very often.

computer power supply state that it is 450W...
but the computer draws probably much less, regardless what the supply is capable of. My AMD 2.2GHz 'iron fool' needs 100W and is equipped with a 350W supply.
A few weeks ago I measured this with a power meter borrowed from our municipal energy supplier.
The meter displays the actual power in kW or can be set to a 24h sum up in kWh, so you can measure a non constant, intermitting power draw as well, like those of fridges or washing machines.
The meter borrowing is part of the suppliers energy consulting services and is free of charge.
Maybe your supplier or an enviromental agency offers free consulting too?
Of course some of the genius hints don't pay off for me, like 'buy new, less power hungry stuff...' :whazzat:
regards

If you're just looking at what the back of the appliance says the consumption is, that's the MAXIMUM power it will draw. For stereo equipment, the average is much less. I'd say, your best bet is to try and replace the big stuff with more-efficient appliances (water heater, stove, air conditioning), also make sure your house wiring is in good shape: properly sized and replace any really old outlets. Another test: switch off all your appliances (for stuff that's always on like the cable box and most consumer electronics, you'll have to unplug it), then check to make sure your meter has stopped. If it hasn't, either you forgot something or you have a wiring fault which is wasting electricity.

The only person whose wallet you'll be helping is the one who makes those "power savers"... as many have said, you buy kW from the utility, not kVA.

Switch off appliances at the socket when not in use, increase the air conditioner thermostat (no point making it so cold you have to use a blanket...), change to fluorescent lights... all those are much more effective ways to save money.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.