Please help me check,Can this dual power use tl431 and a op work well? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th November 2008, 05:48 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Please help me check,Can this dual power use tl431 and a op work well?

Hello, i am a newbie
i try to use tl431(lm431) to make a dual power(pos and neg dc) supply for OP that can replace 78xx 79xx lm317 and lm137 series
due to i think tl431 have better temputure performance than them,and tl431 is cheap
sorry for my english, too bad and too many wrong spell but i believe that you can understand

i don't know how to use tl431 for negtive power , i was confused, infact i design one, but use spice simulate, it can not keep the voltage, with the changes of RL(the load resitense) ,the voltage is change,so that can not fit my needs

then i found fairchild 78xx manual have a tracking voltage regulator schemitic that useing a OP and a PNP to just tracking and follow the Positive voltage,
so i use the typical TL431 plus a NPN postive regulator diagram and mix with the tracking way make this one
please see the pic i upload
Old 17th November 2008, 03:56 AM   #2
dtproff is offline dtproff  United States
diyAudio Member

Sorry Charlie...

This really won't work. You need some type of switching element to generate the negative rail

The simplest form is a switched capacitor inverter (Charge pump). These are good for small power applications only (~20mA range) For larger currents you will need an inductor and a DC/DC converter.

Take a look at somem of the TI parts. One off the top of my head is the TPSTPS54353. But their are a lot of chinese and Taiwan versions available also.

http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tps54353.pdf

Sorry... I hope that helps.

Tony
Old 18th November 2008, 09:05 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

thanks
and due to i am newbie and not familiar the forum, i duplex post this at here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...97#post1658197

the pic is at here
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attac...amp=1226557423
and change the Q2 to PNP and swap the Pin 2 and Pin 3 (inverting and non-inverting input of OP LM741) then it works ok!

Hide this!Advertise here!