Using Inrush Current Limiters

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ifrythings said:
They say "it's commonly used" that way, I almost always see it before the bridge rectifier in most SMPS applications.

They may recommend it there for the fact that DC current will heat it up faster than AC current will?

I assume, then, that one would place it in series with the HOT line as it comes in, just before the main switch (or does it make a difference?).

BTW, I'm not using it for SMPS applications. So I don't ultimately know how useful or effective this device is. It was suggested by someone in this thread.

Hi,
a Thermistor before the transformer and after the transformer are doing two different things.

Thermistor before the transformer reduces the current pulse from the mains while the transformer is establishing it's flux getting ready to deliver power.

Thermistor after the transformer reduces the current pulse going to charge up the smoothing capacitance after the transformer has started to deliver power.
The two thermistors will be chosen for these different duties and purposes.
Fitting both is OK since they each do something different.

I recommend that bypass relays with different delays be placed around each Thermistor. This reduces the PSU impedance (improving amplifier performance) and allows the Thermistor to cool for the next start up.

Anthony C Smith said:
I would assume from your comments that you are inrush limiting a transformer?
It's an external PSU for a Philips CD650 CDP. It contains several mini toroid transformers dedicated to IC-specific rectifier/regulator combos.
The PSU also has a balance transformer that powers the CD650's main AC line.

Attachments

• img_0020_080916_213224_sm.jpg
    img_0020_080916_213224_sm.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 377
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.