self oscillating flyback smps - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th September 2008, 03:27 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default self oscillating flyback smps

hey all!

Am working on a self oscillating flyback smps. i get the schematics from smps handbook.

when i start simulating the circuit using LTspice it doesn't work
i couldnt generate the proper signal to fire the switching transistor.

could any one look at my schematic and help me..
i think its the values of the elements or somthing about the flyback transformer !!

and thanks in advance..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flyback rcc.jpg (69.9 KB, 695 views)
Old 8th September 2008, 03:50 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I've worked with this topology in the back, and although it appears deceivingly simple, it is not.

For starters, the 2N3055 is way too slow. Replace that with a suitable MOSFET instead.
Old 8th September 2008, 05:08 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

But i couldnt establish a signal at the base ..

I thought it may be the values of the components which control the boundary between CCM and DCM or the transformer modeling..
because i tried a mosfet and i had the same proplem, there's weird signal at the gate!!
Old 9th September 2008, 12:30 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

What did the simulation log show?
Any Convergence problems?
Try reducing your step size
Old 9th September 2008, 07:41 AM   #5
Elvee is offline Elvee  Belgium
diyAudio Member

I notice C2 has no suffix. This means the simulator will assume it is a 200 farads capacitor.
Could this be the problem?
Old 9th September 2008, 03:11 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the replies..

due to the snubber capacitor C2 may be because i changed the values thousand times so may be i miss this one.. sorry

after i changed the switching transistor to IRF mosfet i got a switching signal but it still has a random behavior.

i will attach the simulation file to make it easier if anyone could help..
Attached Files
File Type: zip flyback rcc.zip (1.0 KB, 131 views)
Old 10th September 2008, 07:46 AM   #7
Elvee is offline Elvee  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Obviously, with your values, you arrrive at insane voltages and currents: when properly simulated, i.e. a time long enough for the initial conditions to settle, and a time step short enough, the voltage on the drain reaches over 330V.

Off course, it is practically unloaded, and there is no regulation.

Have you properly defined target values for the frequency, conduction time, peak current, output power, etc?
Where will you introduce the regulating/feedback element?
What regulation strategy will you use?
These are the prerequisites, and once they have been laid down, you have to design the circuit and calculate the values accordingly.
A more informal approach will not work.
I have substituted more realistic values, and now it works in a more sensible manner, but all the above-mentionned issues remain open.
I'll try to disguise the .asc file into a .txt. To use it, restore the correct extension.
Attached Files
File Type: txt flyback rcc.txt (3.0 KB, 94 views)
Old 10th September 2008, 04:20 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

hey..
the circuit is low power and has variable frequency so i prefered to let these elements open..

and the regulation in the schematic am using has a feedback signal throw a shunt reglator (TL431) and opto coupler but i thought it is not necessary to complicate the circuit as
long i cant get a stable output voltage .
Old 10th September 2008, 07:28 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Try this The skip inital operating point solution should be turned off or else circuits like these might not start.

The component values you chose gives a way too high frequency for this kind of circuit. My changed circuit optimally should have the inductances increased even further to give lower operating frequency.

The darlington/CFP is needed or the current trip point will change too much between oscillating mode and stopped mode making burst operation start at pretty high load levels.

The 470 ohm resistor makes the turn on/off pretty slow, this is why frequency should be kept low. The resistor could be reduced but watch out for high turn-off-transistor current and high zener current at high input voltage.
Attached Files
File Type: txt flyback2.txt (3.7 KB, 105 views)
Old 13th September 2008, 02:38 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

thaanks .. its very much more than i expected

Hide this!Advertise here!