Scavenging ultra low noise power supply - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th September 2008, 05:12 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Scavenging ultra low noise power supply

On Marshall Leach's site he makes mention of the LC Audio power supply for an MC Preamp he designed -- http://users.ece.gatech.edu/~mleach/headamp/ -- I guess it's something like this -- all you have is diode noise:

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 7th September 2008, 11:32 AM   #2
MRupp is offline MRupp  Germany
diyAudio Member

Presuming these are standard LEDs in your diagram I don't think you would get any current to speak of. However, you could use solar panels instead. I see small panels at differnt voltages at my local electronis store (Conrad). Just one example:

Measures: 122 x 115 x 3 mm, Nominal Voltage: 18 V, Nominal current: 0,038 A, price 16,36 EUR. They are optimised for daylight spectrum so you might get less current/voltage with a lamp. Sounds like an interesting alternative to big filters on a normal power supply.
Old 7th September 2008, 02:46 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I did get some photo-cells at the town dump and they were new -- problem was that some of them had a battery connection with poor solder joint...easy enough to fix.

This is the same town dump from which I got my bike frame, a Marantz 2235 and a H.H. Scott 400. Some go to deposit, others to withdraw.
Old 7th September 2008, 05:32 PM   #4
MRupp is offline MRupp  Germany
diyAudio Member

Understand now, so you really mean solar panels not diodes - was really wondering what you were up to. I used to scavenge TV sets at the town dump when I was a kid, mostly for resisters, but have not been there ever since .

The only "free" source of solar panels over here that I can think of are some funny boxes that are mounted along the Autobahn every few kms and are powered by these panels. At least I presume they are free but I may be wrong

But back on the noise, since you appear to have all kinds of measuring equipment you could gve them a try and report back. Would be very interesting.

Hide this!Advertise here!