13.6/20A new smps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Dears

This is my new switched power supply. Only 14cm X 9cm, builded with SG3525, IR2110, IRFP264, 127AVC input, 13,6VDC output, 20A max.
Your comments are ALWAYS WELLCOME.

Thank you very much.

Sandro/CHACALPOWERS
From BRAZIL.

Attachments

• smpshf1320.jpg
    smpshf1320.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 1,060
My use for the SMPS showed is for ham apliccation, because I have a ICOM IC-2200H vhf trasnceiver, Ok? Also can it use the SMPS for battery charger, but only upper the voltage to 14.5V.
Excuse me, but the schematics only by e-mail because it is so big to post here. (PDF archive).
Please, you contact me in

chacalpowers@gmail.com

and I will send the schematics to you.

Thanks

Sandro/CHACALPOWERS

Attachments

• ham4.jpg
    ham4.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 903
i assume you use halfbridge topology. how did you made the output voltage regulation ? i see no output inductor. the big toroid is the transformer, isn't ?
you mention about the heating of the core and diodes. the transformer will heat-up due to large flux, frequency or more probably because the wire is too thin. from what i can see in this photos i think that the winding with the red wire is the secondary. if so, the wire is too thin. u must use stranded wire with at least 4 sq mm section for 20A. better if bigger section. you should use 12-16 0.7 mm wires in parallel for secondary.
also, the rectifier diode must have a big heatsink. at 20A and let's say 40KHz a shottky diode will dissipate 12-18W and a normal one more. this means that you must use a heatsink with max 2-2.5*C/W.
a more practical solution in your case is to use sync. rectification. where the output load has less than 2-3 ohms and the voltae is below 50V this is a practical solution. there are few ways to implement this. the best results you can get by using dedicated drive ic's, like IR1166 or similar wich control a pair of very low RdsON FET's. but this can be implemented also with discrete parts.

i assume you use halfbridge topology. how did you made the output voltage regulation ? i see no output inductor. the big toroid is the transformer, isn't ?
you mention about the heating of the core and diodes. the transformer will heat-up due to large flux, frequency or more probably because the wire is too thin. from what i can see in this photos i think that the winding with the red wire is the secondary. if so, the wire is too thin. u must use stranded wire with at least 4 sq mm section for 20A. better if bigger section. you should use 12-16 0.7 mm wires in parallel for secondary.
also, the rectifier diode must have a big heatsink. at 20A and let's say 40KHz a shottky diode will dissipate 12-18W and a normal one more. this means that you must use a heatsink with max 2-2.5*C/W.
a more practical solution in your case is to use sync. rectification. where the output load has less than 2-3 ohms and the voltae is below 50V this is a practical solution. there are few ways to implement this. the best results you can get by using dedicated drive ic's, like IR1166 or similar wich control a pair of very low RdsON FET's. but this can be implemented also with discrete parts.

Very, very true.
The SMPS looks like unregulated, transformer may provide enough stray inductance.

hello

Hello SMPS builders

I don't have the schematics in "graphic mode", only in my mind, sorry.
This SMPS use the classical opto-zener regulation to regulate 13.6V (or more) output tension.
Here I post another so much really tiny SMPS (13.8V - 18A):eek:.. Look it!!:spin:

Thank you very much by your great comments.

Sandro

Attachments

• tiny1.JPG
    tiny1.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 358
12A 10A SMPS with KA2S0880

you mention about the size, i made this smps few years ago, when i had a couple of integrated switches used in some CRT monitors. i attach the schematic, pcb screenshoot and layout file, if anybody have this ic and want to make this schematic and pcb. the pcb is made in orcad but can be imported and opened with other sw as well. anyway the pcb can be improved and chage some components footprints with the available ones. also the heatsinks should be larger for full current capability. this supply was able to deliver 10A but most of the time was not required more than 3A.

Attachments

• 12V 10A.GIF
    12V 10A.GIF
    33.4 KB · Views: 340
  • 12V 10A SCH.GIF
    12V 10A SCH.GIF
    13.4 KB · Views: 338
  • 12V 10A KA2S0880.zip
    38 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
I made a 13.8V 15A current limiting SMPS with PFC off a Dell PC PSU before. took out all the secondary side components and left what I only needed. had posted it before somewhere but never managed to post the complete details since I lost the paper where I wrote what I did to the PSU. still working well today great for charging car batteries and running car amps. :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.