Noise suppression bypass caps on Si bridge

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
They can indeed - a lot depends on other factors as well such as wiring and layout. I first came across this effect years ago with an old AM/FM Hitachi radio. It always buzzed on mains (through the speaker) , quite a harsh buzz really, and it was this very problem. As the diodes come into an out of conduction they can emit a "burst" of RF energy, I always call it comutation noise but that's not strictly correct. It's an interaction between the diodes switching and the inductance of the transformer windings. Even putting a finger on the bridge stopped it and in this case a single 0.01 across the secondary was a complete cure. A lot of folk's use a series resistor and cap as a snubber rather than a direct cap across the windings.
Yes is the answer, I used four 0.1Mfd/250 Vac caps ( Do watch the rating) in my amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.