igbt H bridge current regulator. noobish - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th July 2008, 08:14 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to psychosteve
Default igbt H bridge current regulator. noobish

ok so i get this fantastic idea to make a new case for my amp, got some 5mm alu plate from work, go to tig weld it and PUFFFF, welder goes up in smoke. boss says well we dont use it so i aint replacing it, chuck it in the skip!

well, i aint gona do that so in the back of the truck it goes.

now i go through it and strip it down, not much left, good transformer, and the bridge rectifier, thats about it.

what i need help with is an ac current regulator, i was goin to use op amps to generate an adjustable freq. square wave with adjustable duty cycle 50% to 99% witch is what i need, and can just about design myself, but how to get that to regulate dc current, i was looking at some igbt H bridge modules or single igbt transistors that will hold the current. but i need the voltage to fluctuate and only regulate the current, adjustably upto 150amps!!

any help at all greatly appreciated, cheers, steve.
Old 8th July 2008, 10:50 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to psychosteve
any one??

even a "go look at this site noob!!"

cheers guys, steve.
Old 10th July 2008, 04:16 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Do you have any idea how current is controlled in modern smps based welding machine? Slightest idea- theoretical knowledge? In conventional AC welding machine, current is controlled by wire wound resistor/inductor. But the system is bulky and inefficient. I have studied one Chinese Heavy Welding Machine, where current is controlled through saturable core transformer. Hope, you can put some light on it.
With thanks.

Old 10th July 2008, 05:11 AM   #4
Eva is offline Eva  Spain
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Eva
They use average-current mode loops (search the forum and google for documents on that subject). Primary side current is usually sensed with transformers and secondary side current with shunts. An input or output inductor is also required in order to limit di/dt and allow the control loop to operate (depends on topology).

Anyway, this is not an easy job. Consider repairing the welder rather than redesigning it.
Old 10th July 2008, 06:01 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Dear steve,
Want to know something practical from you. You are a brave man, I must admit. Instead of purchasing a new one, you ventured to construct/ make one with modern smps route. It is like the soldiers, who prefer to fight and die in the battlefield, rather than showing the back and flee away from the battle field to the safe home and enjoying a cowardice life-which is adopted by most. I like the spirit.

It is easier to control an instrument which require to control 1or 2 parameters, rather than the welding machine, which require min. voltage and variable current.

However, I have formulated a system to control current and it will be put for your comment shortly. By the time let me see your practical oriented suggestion -if any.

Old 21st July 2008, 09:06 AM   #6
golam is offline golam  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Dear s.g. mahbub,
Please put forward your plan for current control. I think it is easier if you try to control using backyard parameter, that is first controlling the Mains AC through Phase Angle Control with Microcontroller and then finally use a modality for final and finer regulation.
Thanks.
Old 24th December 2010, 03:51 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

you can use transistors to control your current and use some feedback to modify the gate voltage to hold the current per the varying voltage

Hide this!Advertise here!