Choke input with a field coil.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm guessing this is a no as I have not seen it done in any of the old schematics I have but can you do a choke input power supply with the field coil. I'm guessing no as it would be too much noise near the voice coil. Would the humbucking coil attached to the voice coil be able to handle it?

Well after running a few simulations in PSUD2 it seems choke input isn't a good idea if the field coil is the first choke. If it is the second choke than its not too bad.
Question if I do an LCLC filter does the first choke have to be the same value as the field coil (inductance and impedance) and should the first choke be a swinging choke?
How do I measure the inductance of the field coil?

Field coils have been used in the psu, back when, for entirely economic reasons.

It does not have to be the same value.

Whether or not the first choke should be a swinger depends on the load (and availability). If your in class A no, it can be of benefit as you go into class B.

Measuring inductance is tricky as it drops with increasing DC current as the core saturates.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.