diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Power Supplies (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/power-supplies/)
-   -   where to start to build an SMPS (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/power-supplies/125261-where-start-build-smps.html)

jegandren 22nd June 2008 07:44 AM

where to start to build an SMPS

hi all,
im building a half bridge smps for my project. Can anyone suggest where shall i start first, the control part , pfc part or shall i build the open loop SMPS first. please advise

guitar_joe 22nd June 2008 01:14 PM

have you built any smps before?

Bootstrapper 22nd June 2008 01:23 PM

Hi, before you actually build anything, I recommend intense simulation with (for example) SwitcherCAD from Linear Technology. If you have access to a book Fundamentals of Power Electronics by Erickson et al, you should have enough basic information about the design constraints.

Personally I tend to start with the power devices and transformers. If you have somewhat clear specifications for your project, you can estimate the maximum voltage & current stresses and choose component based on the calculations. Once you have selected components for the power section, you can proceed with filters and control circuits.

I guess there are no single best starting point, but since the power section is perhaps the most crucial, you may want to check that first. My knowledge on this subject is rather limited, at least compared to experts like Eva, for example - so don't believe only me :)

Good luck on your project(s)!

jegandren 23rd June 2008 01:57 AM

Hi

Actually i haven't built a SMPS before, but im done with the simulation using Matlab/Simulink.

Tolik 28th June 2008 02:53 PM

Hi,
The best, & most accurate simulator for SMPS is prototype board only :smash:
Trust me, that even with best in class software, you will not be able to simulate the whole design if you don't ABSOLUTLEY familiar with SPICE, physics of magnetics, RF etc. Because the performance of SMPS is strongly depending on a lot of things and conditions like PCB layout, temperature of your magnetics, quality of components and many others, that very difficult to simulate. What you can do - to simulate important parts of your project: feedback networks, filters, etc.

S.G. Mahbub 3rd July 2008 08:20 PM

Dear jegandren,

Since you are stepping into the enormous world of power electronics, you can start from any where as you have to learn, try,mistake, learn,try........... But follow the safety rule in toto. Since you have done some simulation, you have gathered some idea, though the simulation may not be very useful in practical field. Try to gather working knowledge regarding the parts, circuits etc. In power electronics, knowledge means 100% knowledge regarding the circuit you try to make. Even 1% mistake is fatal here.
If you decide to step into, don't hesitate. Even the tallest building in the world starts from the first brick.

First, you can try with the proven circuits given in cookbook/internet.

Gather knowledge, follow safety rules, and try again and again. With the passage of time you will be able to do, what you thing impossible now. Don't listen to those so called experts, who discourage. Nothing is impossible but can take some time. Man can do what men have done.

Matsusita, the founder of National Panasonic Company of Japan didn't attend any school and started his career as a street light bulb boy whose duty was to remove the damaged bulbs from street of Tokyo. But with the passage of time he invented many electrical items and created the big company single handedly.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IDEAS ARE MONEY, IF YOU CAN USE IT ON GROUND, NOT IN FORUM OR CLASSROOM ONLY.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

S.G. Mahbub 4th July 2008 05:12 AM

Dear jegandren,
Thank you for your E-Mail.

N-Channel 8th July 2008 06:15 PM

Re: where to start to build an SMPS

Quote:

Originally posted by jegandren
hi all,
im building a half bridge smps for my project. Can anyone suggest where shall i start first, the control part , pfc part or shall i build the open loop SMPS first. please advise

Try searching this forum for threads on half-bridge PSUs. Perhaps the most commonly implemented smps is found in every AT & ATX pc smps: The TL494-controlled half-bridge. Also, try this link. This should serve as a good starting point. Voltage-mode w/feedback, soft-start, current-limiting, all the basic stuff you need. No current-mode (cycle-by-cycle current-limiting), but you can't have everything. This circuit has no PFC, but there's quite a bit of info on the web (and this forum) on PFC.

Before you start anything, please be advised: Voltages in these ckts are LETHAL, and you are advised to exercise to appropriate caution.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Steve

Tolik 8th July 2008 06:34 PM

Hi,
Here is another intresting example.

wakibaki 8th July 2008 07:00 PM

Re: where to start to build an SMPS

Quote:

Originally posted by jegandren
please advise
Quote: